Subject: My Hero Setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cooley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hey guys!

So currently me and my dad are in the middle (like we just finished the interlude) of the shadow rune campaign. He is playing the heroes and I am playing the overlord. We were going to switch roles next time so that we both get a chance at each side. So, Ive been thinking about which heroes to select and I've come down to some ideas:

Fighter: Nanok as knight

Mage: High Mage Quellen OR Leoric OR Jaes as runemaster

Scout: Lindel as treasure hunter OR Wildlander but probably TH

Healer: Aurim as Disciple

What do you guys think? I have access to all of the expansions except mists of bilehall. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Parparian
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that build will win… I for one wouldn't have fun playing a team stacked so hard, against the app sure it could be fun but against another player our group bans about half those heroes as too strong along with the treasure hunter class in general, since the money it generates makes act 2 a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cooley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You can't just say I will win instantly. The overlord will be using the conversion kit monsters which are really powerful, also four heroes means more monsters. So blocking the heroes (which is really beneficial in many quests) becomes easier. (2 Golems in a hallway would take like 2-3 complete turns to clear) Also, I know for sure he will pick the raven overlord card as his first card, which is overpowered in itself. So nothing is guaranteed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leing
msg tools
I do agree that your team is very strong and has a high chance of winning a given campaign. That said, a lot changes when there is a difference in skill. If you are the better player, it will most likely be a steamroll using this party. If it is an even matchup, you'll have a good advantage over the overlord from the raw power your group has.

Even so, you will need to be very cautious to keep your group together. One misstep in a quest putting your treasure hunter just too far away could get him downed in a corner without any support. As one player controlling four characters, its easy to miss a small detail that the overlord can take advantage of. I think managing your party's movement on the map is going to be especially important, as you have a lot of temptations to take risks and try to get that search token with your treasure hunter, or advance just slightly too far ahead with your knight.

Gear wise you'll have it pretty easy as long as you're looting each quest. Treasure chest will almost be guaranteed so you'll get some interesting options early on depending on what you loot. I recommend getting shields and armor for Aurim as soon as possible, as 8 health does not go very far. Armor will help make that easier but a good hit from a single monster can almost one shot you, especially in act II.

For your mage, I would recommend Jaes. You will have plenty of access to gearing him up with runic items to use his heroic ability, and the higher might will make your group even less vulnerable to web traps. Be wary of awareness or willpower checks, as your team could get slammed on those. I could see an imploding rift messing up your turn if you move Aurim in for a big healing potion and not have a stamina potion to use. Remember that while Lindel might not care about attribute tests, the rest of your party will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has played the shadwo rune and the labyrinth of ruin. Both times the heroes were so overpowerd in act II that I at least had no fun (first time as the OL and second as a player). It's the reason I have given up on this game.
There are some players who like winning so much that they don't care if it was a fair game but that's not me.

Your group does sound OP to me. I'd suggest drawing random heroes (perhaps 2 per role and then you can choose) and then chooe the classes. As already pointed out the Treasure Hunter will get you equipment that's also very strong to a point that your OL will have a very hard time.

Try to keep it fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cooley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
HowOriginal wrote:
I do agree that your team is very strong and has a high chance of winning a given campaign. That said, a lot changes when there is a difference in skill. If you are the better player, it will most likely be a steamroll using this party. If it is an even matchup, you'll have a good advantage over the overlord from the raw power your group has.

Even so, you will need to be very cautious to keep your group together. One misstep in a quest putting your treasure hunter just too far away could get him downed in a corner without any support. As one player controlling four characters, its easy to miss a small detail that the overlord can take advantage of. I think managing your party's movement on the map is going to be especially important, as you have a lot of temptations to take risks and try to get that search token with your treasure hunter, or advance just slightly too far ahead with your knight.

Gear wise you'll have it pretty easy as long as you're looting each quest. Treasure chest will almost be guaranteed so you'll get some interesting options early on depending on what you loot. I recommend getting shields and armor for Aurim as soon as possible, as 8 health does not go very far. Armor will help make that easier but a good hit from a single monster can almost one shot you, especially in act II.

For your mage, I would recommend Jaes. You will have plenty of access to gearing him up with runic items to use his heroic ability, and the higher might will make your group even less vulnerable to web traps. Be wary of awareness or willpower checks, as your team could get slammed on those. I could see an imploding rift messing up your turn if you move Aurim in for a big healing potion and not have a stamina potion to use. Remember that while Lindel might not care about attribute tests, the rest of your party will.

Exactly.
And, the overlord I will be playing against will be ruthless...I already know it. He will be blocking hallways with golems and giants non stop. He will buy the same cards that I did when I played overlord. So it will by no means be a cakewalk for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.