Millennium Blades» Forums » Variants

Subject: Diversity Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Levesque
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group we like to see varied decks and have an increased challenge. We found that liquidation mode just made things to hectic with to much money, not to mention making Fulton even worse.

Here is what we do.

Any card used in your last deck can't be used in any future tournaments.

You may use a copy of a single played in previous tournaments but you have to be able to prove you have another copies.

You may sell tournament deck cards to the aftermarket, use them in sets for collection, or use for card fusion.

I may at some point not allow the use of the cards in collection.

This variant also really helps when playing against new players since I let them play by the normal rules and I handicap myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never play this or liquidation mode personally.

There are multiple vectors of scoring in MB, but these types of variants further put the emphasis into the tournaments, which already score the most points typically anyway.

It also destroys part of the theme, which is supposed to be about the whole experience of CCGs, not just the tournaments (which in real CCGs, it was the hardcore tournament players attitudes that made me stop playing them anyway). Plus, in a real CCG, when your friend makes a ridiculous deck that they keep playing all the time, you would specifically try to build a deck to try to beat that deck. That bit of the MB simulation would also be gone.

Maybe these variants are only going to appear to the hardcore CCG players. The same ones that I wouldn't play Magic: the Gathering with; with these variants I wouldn't play Millennium Blades with those people either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Nygaard
msg tools
mb
I tested out a variant of the liquidation mode the other day, since I really like it.

The greatest joy for my friend and I (I mostly play 2 players) is creating crazy combos and having fun with the decks, so we would typically sell most of our collections anyways.

Another (minor) reason is that we just always play with the deck protector, making hate decks less viable in a 2 player game. This way it gets thrown away.

I agree that Liquidation classic has way too much money and it also affects what type of deck you can play because pauper would be naturally worse in the long run than a high star power deck.

I should also mention that we play without character abilities, again, to keep the same baseline for some cool combos and see how far we can max it. We don't play duel, we score collections as per normal.

Variant:

After every tournament you discard your entire deck (decbox and accessories included).

You get 50 Dollars at the start of the deckbuilding phase.

That's it.

This removes a cool aspect of the game, a sort of counter-decking, but I don't really miss it that much. This, for us, is the way to play when only 2 players :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago maia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We're doing, after the tourneament each player must to sell two card of your deck choosed by each adjacent opponent( one of your left and one of your right)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.