Subject: Best corner clipper? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which of the Oregon clippers is the best to clip the 1" counters? I have a 2mm hand-held clipper, but it seems I need one with a bigger radius. Which one would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 3mm clipper is easier to use and gives better results. The only question is whether any important information is cut off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that, I cut a couple of information counters with the 2mm, but it didn't seem to take enough of the corner off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2.5mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I am guessing both 3mm and 2.5mm would work, it depends on how much of the corner I want to lose. Maybe safest to go with 2.5mm. I would probably get more use from them for smaller counters too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the 2.5 and have been satisfied with all results of different counter sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
recon28501 wrote:
I have the 2.5 and have been satisfied with all results of different counter sizes.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kraus
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2.5mm it is. Thank you for all of the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past I've clipped with nail clippers and a jig, both specifically purchased for that purpose, but also at less than half the expense of the Oregon clipper.

But with a fresh copy of BoB sitting on my desk waiting to be clipped, I'm tempted to indulge--is it worth the price?

Do they go dull or break down -- how long do they last? Will they need to be replaced after 10 sheets of counters of more like 100?

Is the clip quality consistent over time? Will my 1000th counter be clipped as nice as the 1st?

Anyone care to share pics of both size BoB counters clipped with a 2.5mm cliipper? I'd definitely only be able to afford one size.

TIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not had my clipper that long. I don't remember the radius, but it was recommended by folks. It has done mostly well.

But with this set, most of my counters have one corner that I can't quite get clean. I don't know why that would be. I don't know if my clipper has aged, or if there is something about the way these counters were punched, or what. I did feel that separating the counters was messy. For a while I used an xacto knife, but after that I just broke them. I figured the clipper would clean them up, but it has not completely.

So I'm just saying they are not perfect all the time. I had not noticed a problem before, other than when I did not place a counter quite correctly.

andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
In the past I've clipped with nail clippers and a jig, both specifically purchased for that purpose, but also at less than half the expense of the Oregon clipper.

But with a fresh copy of BoB sitting on my desk waiting to be clipped, I'm tempted to indulge--is it worth the price?

Do they go dull or break down -- how long do they last? Will they need to be replaced after 10 sheets of counters of more like 100?

Is the clip quality consistent over time? Will my 1000th counter be clipped as nice as the 1st?

Anyone care to share pics of both size BoB counters clipped with a 2.5mm cliipper? I'd definitely only be able to afford one size.

TIA

I can only speak of having clipped around 1,000 counters with a 2mm hand-held clipper. It still appears to be going strong, but I would imagine it would need sharpened over time, and I have heard some reports of certain clippers breaking after a lot of use, but there are also videos somewhere on the geek on how to repair the clippers.

Maybe someone else can chime in who has used the clipper extensively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmb
Is it worth over $120? That's what it would cost to get it to Switzerland, with shipping and tax wow

I think I'll pass cry and keep using toe nail clippers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I wouldn't pay that price. It is a great tool but that's crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, CA$77 to Canada. I thought about it, but bought a set of fresh X-Acto blades for $3 instead. I figure it'll take me two or three blades for all three games' counters (used one blade for SE and TA, and probably should have switched to a new one earlier). I forgot how effective a brand new X-Acto blade is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cillmhor wrote:
it depends on how much of the corner I want to lose.

Exactly - there's no "best" size, because it's personal taste. Some people like almost-square corners (i.e. clipping mainly to remove the fuzzy tufts, not to make round corners) and other people like much more visibly rounded corners. So it depends what effect you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI .. found out that if you click this microbadge, there are some pics of the diff sizes: mb

There is also someone who commented on the thread link to on that page that they have clipped over 5000 counters without any issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
FYI .. found out that if you click this microbadge, there are some pics of the diff sizes: mb

There is also someone who commented on the thread link to on that page that they have clipped over 5000 counters without any issues.

Thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmb
My toe nail clipper worked as usual, and all three games are clipped, yay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally counter clip, but having seen the results in another gamer's game, I'm doing it for these titles. 2.5mm for me, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my games yesterday and started clipping a few. But the corners aren't looking that great using my trusty 2mm. The corners are left looking little white. All I can think is maybe the thin top layer of paper that has the image affixed to the rest of the thick counter is a little torn when clipping. Counters are too thick maybe? I've tried clipping with the back side facing up and they look a little better but it's not a great improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just started with my 2.5mm and they are looking good so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
I have just started with my 2.5mm and they are looking good so far.

OK, call me a crazy wargamer. I just ordered the 2.5mm so I'll put off clipping anymore BoB until that one arrives. I needed a reason to get a 2.5mm to keep my 2mm company anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've clipped Screaming Eagles using the 2.5mm and the results are pretty good. I get a little bit of white on the corners of the 1" corners but nothing major, can only be seen from the side of the counter in most cases. The smaller counters clip like a dream with no whiting, so I expect the whiting on the corners is due to the size and thickness of the 1" counters. I had a similar experience regarding whiting when I clipped GMT's Alexander the Great Deluxe edition counters, which were extra sturdy. I just assumed at the time that my 2mm cutter was getting a bit blunt, but this 2.5mm is brand new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.