Subject: Machine Points for Control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Bolinger
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been reading a lot of threads and I've seen mention several times that the Machines get VP's when gaining control of a region; however, this is not in the official rules or, from what I can tell, the FAQ. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gdboling wrote:
I've been reading a lot of threads and I've seen mention several times that the Machines get VP's when gaining control of a region; however, this is not in the official rules or, from what I can tell, the FAQ. Can anyone clarify this for me?

It was mentioned by Grant, one of the designers, but nobody from Portal has clarified or expanded on it. Currently it is the last mystery of the game, and potentially the key to why the Machines "feel" weaker on paper and against aggressive well played other factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Bolinger
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:

It was mentioned by Grant, one of the designers, but nobody from Portal has clarified or expanded on it. Currently it is the last mystery of the game, and potentially the key to why the Machines "feel" weaker on paper and against aggressive well played other factions.

Okay, good to know I didn't miss something obvious, at least. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is completely baffling to me that this has not been officially addressed.

Maybe they are running some last minute play-testing on it? I imagine that's what happened with the Scouting nerf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Bolinger
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:

Maybe they are running some last minute play-testing on it? I imagine that's what happened with the Scouting nerf.

I just can't tell if it is sloppy rushed rules editing or if they are actually tweaking it while it is publicly play tested by people who bought it.

Example: Did they intend for Scouting to work the nerfed way or did they nerf it due to players complaints? Neither is bad. This happens in video games all the time. I'm just curious is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gdboling wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:

I just can't tell if it is sloppy rushed rules editing or if they are actually tweaking it while it is publicly play tested by people who bought it.

Example: Did they intend for Scouting to work the nerfed way or did they nerf it due to players complaints? Neither is bad. This happens in video games all the time. I'm just curious is all.

Hmmm, Scouting NERF. I missed that one. Can someone point me towards this as well?

It's pretty clear from Ignacy's last blog (which I found and still find completely bizarre), that this game's playtesting was a massive stress to all involved, to the point it seems that other game developers almost seem to be doing damage control for the comments being made about it.

We played a full demo of Cry Havoc at Gen Con with 4 players and enjoyed it. I had already purchased the game from a preorder, so I was glad we enjoyed it, but it did seem clear, especially post Gen Con, that the game didn't seem to work as well with less than the full compliment of 4 players, in addition to the current thinking that the Machines have some sort of weakness comparatively to the other factions. Machines lost in our demo game as well...dead last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
Hmmm, Scouting NERF. I missed that one. Can someone point me towards this as well?

It's in the Official F.A.Q. in the files section.

Basically they change it from place a control marker in any uncontrolled region to only in adjacent to an already controlled Human regions.

This nerfs it slightly, but doesn't really prevent the Human's spread and control strategy which can get them 20 points in the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Each faction gets 2 VP for winning Control Region objective.

There are no bonuses for Machines.

Machines have a special skill that awards them for Attrition objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:
Each faction gets 2 VP for winning Control Region objective.

There are no bonuses for Machines.

Machines have a special skill that awards them for Attrition objective.

Thanks Ignacy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.