BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Heavy Weight Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: heavy [+] recommendations [+] [View All]
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
For some time now I have been playing euro games like Java and Maharaja: Palace Building in India. My favourite game by far is Imperial. At the moment I plan to get another heavy weight board game. I am ready to spend a lot of time in learning the game mechanics before playing and I can easily tolerate rather long gaming hours. However I might not want to get a war game as I think there should be several layers in the game as there are in Imperial. A small amount of luck can be involved. The game should be smooth and engaging to play. And finally the game I am looking for should have a lot (or at least some) re-play value. What is even more I do not like the idea of moving or piling thousands of small counters on a too tiny board. I do appreciate good artwork and quality components. It would also be great if the game can be played in a single afternoon. Nor would I object if the game system supports a varying number of players. But then on the other hand two player game Age of Napoleon does look good.

At the moment are my choices for my next heavy weight game are:

1. Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648
2. Struggle of Empires
3. Here I Stand
4. Britannia
5. (Age of Steam and Railroad Tycoon, but alas, these are out of print.)

Please help, which game I should get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm picking up Here I stand this week at the shop, so I can't comment on it yet.

I love RRT and really like AoS, it's meatier brother. You should be able to pick either of these up here in the marketplace. I also think the game store that bought out Eagle may still have some copies of RRT.

You should also consider Twilight Struggle. It's easy to play, but there's a lot going on there, and the Card Driven mechanism is amazing (I'm addicted to this game).

Another meatier genre you might want to consider is the 18xx series. We've only played once, but everyone had a good time, 8 hours into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ossessione wrote:

Germany's Parliament is calling -- they need your help.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain.com has some Railroad Tycoon in stock - I think they were the ones who bought all of Eagle's old inventory. Especially with shipping to Finland, that would be a bit pricey, so I'd try and be sure it's the game you want before you get it. I would definitely recommend Struggle of Empires - not too fiddly. The only issue is that it needs at least four players and probably at least five to really work well.If you've got that many regularly, then definitely check it out. It's sort of a war game, but not really - you are fighting other players for control of the colonies, etc., but the game is really about keeping control of your empire economically - not overtaxing your people so much they revolt, feeding them all, etc. And the forced alliance system adds an interesting layer of diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Ossessione wrote:
For some time now I have been playing euro games like Java and Maharaja: Palace Building in India. My favourite game by far is Imperial. At the moment I plan to get another heavy weight board game. I am ready to spend a lot of time in learning the game mechanics before playing and I can easily tolerate rather long gaming hours. However I might not want to get a war game as I think there should be several layers in the game as there are in Imperial. A small amount of luck can be involved. The game should be smooth and engaging to play. And finally the game I am looking for should have a lot (or at least some) re-play value. What is even more I do not like the idea of moving or piling thousands of small counters on a too tiny board. I do appreciate good artwork and quality components. It would also be great if the game can be played in a single afternoon. Nor would I object if the game system supports a varying number of players. But then on the other hand two player game Age of Napoleon does look good.

At the moment are my choices for my next heavy weight game are:

1. Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648
2. Struggle of Empires
3. Here I Stand
4. Britannia
5. (Age of Steam and Railroad Tycoon, but alas, these are out of print.)

Having them all, I would rank them:

Revolution
Here I Stand
Struggle of Empires
Britannia
Age of Steam

Revolution with 5 players a thing of sheer brilliance. SoE not really heavy, but a very good game. AoS does not do much for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Moratti
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Struggle of Empires if you want a great, fun, fairly deep game. If you want pure deep, Die Macher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my list of great heavies, but alas most of what I would like to recommend are just prohibitively hard to come by. surprise

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14425

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of these games.

1. Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 - Steep learning curve, no luck. It is certainly engaging, I'm not sure how smooth it is (people are still arguing about how overflow should be played). Beautiful board and components, but artistic to the point of interference. Many of the dudes with ruffs look alike and the color is set so far back that most of them look murky black and the board is initially confusing. This is not a short game, it takes a full day to play. Best with 5, the full compliment of players. I think that I will have no problems playing this for years to come.

2. Struggle of Empires - There is certainly some luck here in what area tokens become available, in the movement over oceans and in battles, but you can defer the the luck from latter two with upgrades to your civilization. The area tokens create a dramatic effect on how the game plays which means that the replayability is very high. There are only three unit counter types land, sea and forts, nothing more complex than Imperial. Smooth and thematically engaging. The art on the tiles is great. This isn't overly long, can get cranked through in an afternoon and part of an evening. Best for 5 & 7, but works well with 6.

3. Here I Stand - A very large amount of luck is involved. Very thematic, but the game runs on rails with players able to make one or two significant decisions an hour. Lots of dice to determine results. There aren't huge stacks of chits, but there are quite few specialized pieces in multiple piles. Nothing that complex, but present. This can be played in one very long day, but not in one afternoon. Not a whole lot of freedom with the # of players.

4. Britannia - I've only played the original AH version, but it is close enough. Long wargame, most of the strategy is dictated, but you can buck the system. Very thematic, very historical, lots of color. Very heavy on dice so luck can be a significant factor. This isn't a short game, but can be played in one day. Stack your troops and bash. There are a number of great tactical decisions to be made though. Not overly replayable. Plays only 4.

5a. Age of Steam - Luck can be a factor in the supply phase. This can easily be played in an evening. If you like building rails and shipping stuff this fills the spot. Smooth design. The artwork is more functional than good, that said it is very clean and easy to read. The set up makes the game very replayable along with the tons of maps available. The basic board plays best with 4 but works quite well with 5. Other maps work well with 2-6 players(7 if you have the Netherlands). It is unforgiving, but rewards strong play. If I were to get rid of all my games but 3 (I own 581 including expansions) I'd keep my Age of Steam.

5b. Railroad Tycoon - Not Heavy. Luck is a factor in the secret objective cards and the card draw to draft from. This can easily be played in an evening. Lots of plastic pieces, that some people think are pretty. A gigantic board that some people think is attractive. Overall quite busy and difficult to read. Works best with a full compliment, but then the player that sits to the left of the player that pays the most for turn order has a significant advantage. Some people swear there is a reason to play this more than once.

Games that you could consider as well:
Die Macher (HiG)
Princes of the Renaisance
1856 or 1860
Dune
Tahuantinsuyu
Reef Encounter
Antiquity
Indonesia
Neuland
Antike (With one less VP)
Serenessima (With Trade restrictions at owned ports)
Liberte (With Drafting Rule)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Smith
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

5b. Railroad Tycoon - Not Heavy. ... A gigantic board that some people think is attractive.

No with the board it is kind of heavy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions everyone!

It seems several of these heavier games are good and that people just have different preferences. At the moment I strongly feel like buying Struggle of Empires, Die Macher, Here I Stand and the new edition of either Age of Steam or Railroad Tycoon when one becomes available. Who knows when I will have time to play all these. Revolution is not on the list because I just bought it – I guess Michael Debije and Morgan Dontanville were the most convincing of you guys.

After reading the rules of Revolution I am very excited about the game and cannot wait to get to play it. The rules look rather clear to me but it might take some thinking to figure out just how to play this game and to come up with at least a broad idea of some strategies and tactics for different factions. I guess I need to read all discussions related to this game and print the files available on this site.

Thank you kindly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.