Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When introducing new players to The Grizzled, would you start them off with At Your Orders or just play the base game?

After reading the rules, I kind of get the impression that this expansion is meant to "replace" the base game with its rules changes. So there's no real need to go back to just the base game, even with brand new players. Instead, the idea is to start new players off with the easiest difficulty level.

And in the base game, it strongly suggests disregarding Traps symbols for new players, but in this expansion, it doesn't say that. It just says that they suggest using Traps. So my thought is that Strategic Withdrawal is supposed to mitigate the sting of Traps enough so that even new players are okay to play with them.

Or do you think I should just start everyone off with the base game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Patena
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd start with the base game - the missions can be confusing for someone learning the game, whereas dealing 1-2-3 cards is quite simple to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion makes the theme gel so much better that I wouldn't hesitate to start with it as it is already a fairly uncomplicated game and probably wouldn't overwhelm anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why you wouldn't start with the expansion...

First, it "fixes" all of the small issues the game had.

Second, it doesn't add any complication and rule difficulty, specially if the players have never played it before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:

Second, it doesn't add any complication and rule difficulty, specially if the players have never played it before

what were the small issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

what were the small issues?

Being extremely hard...
having to choose between getting rid of hard-knocks or reactivate your good luck charm.

Makes it a more balanced and fun game... it's still very challenging and you can make it extremely hard if you need an extra challenge but now when you pick up the game for the first time you won't feel so overwhelmed by how difficult the game can be, specially in higher player counts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.