Subject: Speculation on the World of Myth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading McG's world background in Mercs 2.0, I at least have SOME idea what the various megaCorps (and FCC houses) are about and what the world is like ... At least a little bit.

Putting stuff out on a tile it would be useful to know what is going on in Myth's world and who the players are. For instance, is this a post-apocalyptic version of a D&D world? Is it no longer a functioning world, but instead a few villages being ground down into nothing? Are all the big cities gone and just a few pockets of survivors left? It's kind of the impression we get. And why do the crawlers and grubbers work together so often. It seems an unlikely pairing. Who is setting the traps (and re-setting them afterward)? Is it the grubbers? The crawlers don't have the brain for it right?

Consider that RPG DMs DO create their own stories, but the D&D worlds they write within contain enough background data so that they don't have to make up the entire world by themselves. They create those stories based on the general outline of the world, as created by the RPG designers (except in rare cases where DMs try to make up the entire thing).

I feel like we need a "Campaign Guide" for the world with story writing guidelines for what things are like and if we had that, we could do a better job of writing our own story quests. In effect we need a setting guide like the Forgotten Realms setting or the Dark Sun setting or the Greyhawk setting. All different, but all D&D. We really know less about Myth's world than we do about the world created for the Mercs tabletop game.

Now if this is just an elaborate chess set with crawler pieces instead of pawns and you're not meant to think to much about the world behind the mechanics then fine, but I'm not certain this is the intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are releasing a rule/lore book with the Journeyman kickstarter. Which should help with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:

Now if this is just an elaborate chess set with crawler pieces instead of pawns and you're not meant to think to much about the world behind the mechanics then fine, but I'm not certain this is the intention.

That was undeniably the original intention.

The RPG-type elements like character progression and keeping loot were added late in design. The original idea was for it to be a mini combat game without persistent elements. Apparently Brian Shotton didn't want to make things too detailed because he wanted the players to come up with the answers for these things themselves - who were the characters and why were they doing this? Why was an elf girl, a rogue tailless and a mongoose woman hanging around with a bunch of humans anyway? This was stuff that you were meant to create for yourself in order to make your own stories around the minis battles.

However, they started developing more of the background, and the fans wanted more campaign information, wanted it to be more like something akin to Terrinoth in Descent, a proper campaign world with connected elements.

Now, some of this is hinted at in the Quests - the nature of the Darkness, the larger-than-life NPC allies like Marcus the Ready, Sarah the Mystic, the friendly orc Bobby and the Two Fathers. Not to mention Lucy, a possessed young girl whose quest lines read like a horror story.

By far the best information we currently have about the Myth world is - bizarrely - in the Kickstarter adventure booklet. Seriously, if you're interested about the Myth world at all, you need to get this somehow. It's weird that so much info is contained in a KS-only book, but sadly that's MCG for you. They like to do things 'differently'.

Anyway, this booklet has a dozen of so adventures that dig a bit deeper into the Darkness and the Boss monsters like Orcneas, Urulok, Ia the Foundation, and the like. As well as giving us anti-hero NPCs like Twilight Knight, the cursed Donnchadh and Etrius, the last minotaur, who might be allies or enemies depending on what the PCs do.

The related quests go into more detail about the races too - the Tailless are not like Warhammer skaven, in that they used to be a non-evil race called the Huranii, and it's strongly hinted that the male Brigand is one of the few who aren't tainted by the Darkness. It is explained what the Sycleech are, and the final quest actually lets you set the Crawlers against them to wipe them out (evoking memories of Mass Effect 3's Thresher Maw vs Reaper battle).

So yes, bits of awesome lore are dotted about in various sources, and it feels very unique and different to generic fantasy stuff like Descent.

MCG seem to understand their audience wants more of this stuff, so are releasing an artbook with the JM KS that will supposedly give us more information. Also, there will be 'modules' that are more involved story quests that will elaborate on the world lore.

Finally, there are some fans who have worked on their own canon and concepts, much of which is very good. There's quite a bit of stuff by a guy called Dan, who used to be around a lot but doesn't appear to be here much any more. He wrote a lot of good stuff on the 'Lands of Myth' fan site if you want to check it out.

TLDR; there's a lot of potential in the Myth world, which feels like a unique and intriguing setting. Will MCG ever realise this potential? Who knows, with these guys. Let's hope so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have that quest book and I've read it.

You know, most board games don't offer that much in the way of context. Some are positively un-thematic. Shadows of Brimstone has SOME context but it's pretty thin. Yet even in board games, the theme can make a big difference in the experience of playing the game.

It's really the LOOK of Myth that leaves people asking for more. It looks so much like the combat system extracted from a Role Playing Game that I think instinctively we feel like there MUST be context.

What attracted me to Myth in the first place was watching the Megacon people playing Myth on YouTube. When it's played by experts, it's like watching poetry in motion. But if the game had had different shaped pegs and wooden blocks I would never have wanted to play it.

I do like games with a strong theme and though there is nothing wrong with the game the way it is, it needs the theme. Without it, it's more like a toy for the game designers -- a demonstration project of some very innovative combat mechanics. It's like an alpha test where the game mechanics have been worked out, but the instruction manual and game world are still in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.