Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules funkiness. Great game. Horrificest of all rulebooks.

Rulebook states combat commences when enemy units enter "system" of the other player. However, the rules then state that combat ends when there are only one side's units left in a "theater". OK, which is it? Can one side occupy planet, while the other side occupies space in the same system?

Under "add leader" under the combat section on page 4 of RR, it states that the player currently resolving his turn must decide if he is adding a leader before his opponent. Didn't the current player already decide when he activated the system by placing his leader down in the system? Or does the activating system player get to add another leader prior to combat?

Does the recruit action only occur with time marker movement? There is a recruit action way down on the other end of the track close to the reputation marker. Hard to see the time marker ever getting to that space to activate a recruit action before the time marker hits it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evidence wrote:
Rulebook states combat commences when enemy units enter "system" of the other player. However, the rules then state that combat ends when there are only one side's units left in a "theater". OK, which is it? Can one side occupy planet, while the other side occupies space in the same system?

Yes, both sides could have units in a system if the opposing units are in different theaters.

Where does it state combat starts only due to the system? Looking at the Combat section, it clearly states:

RR - Combat wrote:
When a player moves units to a system that contains his opponent’s
units, a combat is resolved. Combat is only resolved if both players
have units in the same theater.

I can't see how you could misconstrue that unless you missed the second sentence.

Quote:
Under "add leader" under the combat section on page 4 of RR, it states that the player currently resolving his turn must decide if he is adding a leader before his opponent. Didn't the current player already decide when he activated the system by placing his leader down in the system? Or does the activating system player get to add another leader prior to combat?

There are ways to initiate combat without having a leader in the system. One such way is when the Rebel Base is revealed voluntarily.

You can only add a leader to a combat if you don't have a leader with tactics values already in the system. The rules are clear on that part.

Quote:
Does the recruit action only occur with time marker movement? There is a recruit action way down on the other end of the track close to the reputation marker. Hard to see the time marker ever getting to that space to activate a recruit action before the time marker hits it.

Yes, you only recruit in the rounds with the markers. Later ones might not happen, but the marker is there for the rare time you actually do get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Combat is only resolved if both players have units in the same theater."

Where are you reading that second sentence? It's not in my rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 7 of LTP: After moving units into a system that contains opposing units, players resolve a combat.

Nowhere does it state theater.

Page 14 of LTP: When a player moves units to a system that contains his opponents units, a combat is resolved.

Again, it doesn't state theater.

Now I do finally see it states on page 2 of RR, under activating systems: If there are imperial and rebel units in the same system and theater, they resolve combat.

I missed that section.

On page 4 of RR, under Combat: When a player moves units to a system that contains his opponents units, a combat is resolved.

However, I have no second sentence that you stated.

This is a huge problem with this rulebook. One of the most important mechanisms in the game, and it can't clearly state how to engage another player in combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The LTP references are intentionally ignoring the case with separated theaters simply to not confuse (it's rather rare).

The second sentence comes from the Rules Reference Guide posted on FFG's webpage for download. I note that my printed rulebook also omits the second sentence, though. It appears this is something that they detected early on and have fixed for future printings, but it must have been missing from the initial print runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
You still 'resolve combat' when units are in separate theatres - its just that the resolution of said combat is that it immediately ends as a tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KinginAmber wrote:
You still 'resolve combat' when units are in separate theatres - its just that the resolution of said combat is that it immediately ends as a tie.

No you don't. If you did resolve combat, then leaders could be added.

The quote from the rulebook online stating it is not resolved if there are not units in the same theater is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.