Empires in Arms» Forums » Rules

Subject: status of minor country controlled by war enemy after peace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KO Koerner
Germany
flag msg tools
Greetings EiA gamers,

I do need some rule advice. It is my first game of EiA from the beginning, after a game I took over Turkey, but the game did not end, since a person left the group for good (and it was france).

We started a game, I am russia. We are still in 1805. It came as it so often comes, france has war vs. Aus, Pr, and Rus, Turkey was bribed into helping the middle alliance; a couple month France plays catch with 2 almost equal armies in size of the middle ally.

After the second reinforcements arrived, russia declared war on sweden, which was ok with GB and only France wanted the control of sweden. First troops arrive in SW, more are to come 2 round later, it is september 1805.

Now, suddenly and quite surprising, France sued for peace, which everybody agreed to, in taking a conditional peace.

Now suddenly france claims, all russian troops have to leave sweden, since sweden is french and is not in war with russia anymore.

WHAT A BUMMER?!?!?

Now my question: is that correct?!? under which number can I find this in the rulebook.

All I can find ist: one major country "controls" the minor country and moves the armies, etc. The frenc put a general on an swedish army and immediately after peace, claimed:

Russia has to leave, sweden is a french province now and thereafter also in peace!

Could somebody plz tell me the rule for the claim of the french player or the rule which states the opposite!!!

Thanks for your help in advance,

sincerely JagdTrixer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
page 9 4.6.3.1 says that if minor has forces a free state is created, yhat makes the territories "French" because it was already at war with Russia, and I assume he declared "support" for it see 4.6.5 starting same page. However you don't declare war on somebody you are already at war with so no reason not to.
You said he had a French leader there on a Swedish corps so he definitely is "supporting" the minor. However if you have already conquered Finland (control Abo) then Finland is your territory by conquest.
I as a Russian player make sure to get Finland conquered at least on turn 1 or at worst turn 2 of the invasion. If you can't then wait until you can.

However if you haven't conquered any of the provinces he is correct and you must move forces back to nearest Russian territories, etc. that can hold them (because it is a free state controlled by France and thus follows France's "At war" status) - that's covered in the surrender rules.

I didn't see anything in errata from General that contradicts this, but better experts that I may know more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have access to the rules at present but Fred's advice appears correct. A fast conditional peace can be a strong option in many cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JagdTrixer wrote:
Greetings EiA gamers,

I do need some rule advice. It is my first game of EiA from the beginning, after a game I took over Turkey, but the game did not end, since a person left the group for good (and it was france).

The other players have any EiA experience or you all are beginners?

JagdTrixer wrote:
Now suddenly france claims, all russian troops have to leave sweden, since sweden is french and is not in war with russia anymore.

That is correct. You could have choosen the victory condition that allows you to get over Sweden control. Who of your allies did it, and what minor did he got? I think your mistake was to declare war on Sweden while at war with France. And England also failed if he allowed all his allies to exit the war with only a conditional. But.. I'm talking on a general basis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KO Koerner
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi Oscar Oliver,

1st: I am the only really beginner, but the rules are so complex, that even the others weren't sure about the situation.

2nd: GB is still in the war of course and it was predetermined what we take, if France asks for war, we talked about it before hand

and

3rd: the smart french player said "no countries may be taken" so taking sweden by anyone wasn't an option unfortunately.

I guess I still have alot to learn, that was the second disaster I ran into, I will be more careful from now on. But to be fair, calling for peace in exactly that time was pretty genious ;-(

Thanks for all the answers, even though not the ones I hoped to read soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JagdTrixer wrote:
3rd: the smart french player said "no countries may be taken" so taking sweden by anyone wasn't an option unfortunately.

In such a peace, even if conditional surrender allows the surrending nation to pick a A condition, it's usual to negotiate that condition, i.e., as Russian you should have agreed on that peace only if France allowed to cede Sweden to you, for example, and you don't pick any province in exchange.

...oh... second disaster is only the prelude to a great victory, so keep it strong and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree with the others. France now has Sweden. But for how long? With Britain still in the war with France, then Britain might have a shot at conquering a French controlled Sweden. Britain in the long run might need Sweden more than Russia does anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KO Koerner
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi Chummer,

thx for all your answers. I bet there is still lots to learn, but the game will go on.

I had from the beginning of the game a deal with GB, I get Sweden and GB Denmark.

But now, after this unfortunate episode, I concered DK and GB attacks Sweden right now. Whether we keep it that way or exchange will the talked about. I, as Russia would of course prefer Sweden, but Denmarks Fleet, which is still intact, is good as well.

Since all minor countries, except one in northern africa are taken, no more screw ups in that directions will be possible in this game^^;

Have fun and perhaps I give updates from time to time,

greetings from northern Germany, Trixer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.