$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: St. Petersburg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I imagine the second edition is preferable. Is there any reason I should seek out the first edition?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The onlupy reason I can think of is the substantial difference in artwork. Second edition comes with the market expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Mattila
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition is considerably more beautiful.
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the second edition compatible with all the expansions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
Is the second edition compatible with all the expansions?


The second edition base is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
Is the second edition compatible with all the expansions?


The second edition base is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
Is the second edition compatible with all the expansions?


The second edition base is.


Second edition base? What is that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
juuzzom wrote:
The first edition is considerably more beautiful.

QFT. +1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly not sure what "second edition base" might be, unless it's the Death Star Mk II.

Back on topic: first edition has much better art (IMO) and a smaller box*. Second ed includes the expansion.

We own the expansion but rarely bother using it - very little is added. YMMV. If this is really pressing on you, try before buying. If price is similar, space is not an issue and you are not bothered about the art, get second edition. If you care about the art, get first.

* If space is a big issue, or you are traveling with the game, all you need are the cards, the money, tokens and a scorepad. The board is completely unnecessary. Rules can be saved on a phone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:
Is the second edition compatible with all the expansions?

The second edition comes with all the expansions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
juuzzom wrote:
The first edition is considerably more beautiful.

QFT. +1.


Huh?
Sorry people. I just can't keep up. I genuinely thought I was a native English speaker.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Honestly not sure what "second edition base" might be, unless it's the Death Star Mk II.

Back on topic: first edition has much better art (IMO) and a smaller box*. Second ed includes the expansion.

We own the expansion but rarely bother using it - very little is added. YMMV. If this is really pressing on you, try before buying. If price is similar, space is not an issue and you are not bothered about the art, get second edition. If you care about the art, get first.

* If space is a big issue, or you are traveling with the game, all you need are the cards, the money, tokens and a scorepad. The board is completely unnecessary. Rules can be saved on a phone.


Thanks for that. It's likely I'll look for the cheaper option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
Is the second edition compatible with all the expansions?

The second edition comes with all the expansions.


Are you sure?
Saint Petersburg (second edition): Emergency Storehouse Expansion
Saint Petersburg (second edition): New Society Completition Pack
Saint Petersburg (second edition): The Exclusive Spieleschmiede Expansion
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:
Is the second edition compatible with all the expansions?

The second edition comes with all the expansions.


Depends on which version of the second edition you're talking about, the retail version I have certainly does not include everything from Saint Petersburg: New Society & Banquet Expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The good expansion is new society, I have the cards from the banquet under the game insert.

I mean they are just a few random events that break the flow the game, it can be interesting to play with them one or two times but St peterburg is a game about flow and the banquet totally breaks it.

Get the first edition if you can, smaller box and (odd) but better artwork, the new expansion that come with the new edition (market) for what I heard they dont add too much to the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
celacanto wrote:
The good expansion is new society, I have the cards from the banquet under the game insert.:D

I mean they are just a few random events that break the flow the game, it can be interesting to play with them one or two times but St peterburg is a game about flow and the banquet totally breaks it.

Get the first edition if you can, smaller box and (odd) but better artwork, the new expansion that come with the new edition (market) for what I heard they dont add too much to the game.


Since this expansion is available for the first edition I think that is the edition I will look for. I can get the basic game and then have the option to get this expansion if I feel the need.

Thanks for that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
wouldn't it be weird if coincidences never happened?
mbmbmbmbmb
you just need the 1st edition.

the expansion just dilutes the very tight gameplay that's St.Petersburg.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
infectedeggs wrote:

Are you sure?
Saint Petersburg (second edition): Emergency Storehouse Expansion
Saint Petersburg (second edition): New Society Completition Pack
Saint Petersburg (second edition): The Exclusive Spieleschmiede Expansion

Sorry, I didn't check every mini-expansion and promo out there. But it does come with several expansion modules created for this edition, plus the market, which changes the game quite a bit. None of these are available for the first edition.

DaveD wrote:
Depends on which version of the second edition you're talking about, the retail version I have certainly does not include everything from Saint Petersburg: New Society & Banquet Expansion.

Now, I was completely unaware of this, and the fact that they sold a part of New Society only as an add-on during the crowd funding campaign is frustrating.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
infectedeggs wrote:

Are you sure?
Saint Petersburg (second edition): Emergency Storehouse Expansion
Saint Petersburg (second edition): New Society Completition Pack
Saint Petersburg (second edition): The Exclusive Spieleschmiede Expansion

Sorry, I didn't check every mini-expansion and promo out there. But it does come with several expansion modules created for this edition, plus the market, which changes the game quite a bit. None of these are available for the first edition.

DaveD wrote:
Depends on which version of the second edition you're talking about, the retail version I have certainly does not include everything from Saint Petersburg: New Society & Banquet Expansion.

Now, I was completely unaware of this, and the fact that they sold a part of New Society only as an add-on during the crowd funding campaign is frustrating.


Congratulations on the Olympics by the way. For all the doom and gloom it was near faultless.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.