Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Pass an action along with make-work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaon V
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is legal to stay on a planet/region for a couple of rounds without taking any action?

My understanding of rules are (especially: "(...) On your turn, you may take 2 Actions (...)") that it is not required to use any of the actions, and that you can pass.

One example of this being useful is doing "Make-work" as the first action in the final location of the first story card ("First Time In The Captain's Chair"), and then passing the second action, allowing the other players to take their turns, while you are just waiting to get to $6000 to win the game (assuming you are just a couple of hundreds short).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can choose to take only 1 Action (or no Actions even).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaon V
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. Do you know this from confirmed source, or is the "any" keyword in the rulebook sufficient for you to conclude this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The keyword is "may". It implies that taking actions is not mandatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
The keyword is "may". It implies that taking actions is not mandatory.

^ This. That is the difference between "May" and "Must". May is optional, Must is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaonV wrote:
Thanks. Do you know this from confirmed source, or is the "any" keyword in the rulebook sufficient for you to conclude this?
If it was mandatory it would be impossible to comply with in some situations. For example, if you Fly as your first Action and end up stopped in an empty Sector, it would be impossible to take a Buy, Deal or Work Action as your second Action (assuming you don't have any of the specific Crew/Gear Cards that allows you to take certain Actions from anywhere).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaon V
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One could argue that the only option not to do any action is when you really don't have anything to do.

But your thinking (I did mean "may" there) is the same as mine, so good to know I didn't miss anything.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.