$30.00
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for ideas. I want a solitaire game with an immersive theme, ways to mitigate luck with tough and meaningful decisions, lots of fun and variability, with very few components.

If it's a card game, I want as few cards as possible. I'd kind of like a dice game (resource cubes and/or a small number of tiles would be okay, too), with a strong theme and not too much luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday is great, minimal components, plays easy.

Sylvion is pretty neat, also it has a deck construction process at the start which you may not like. Guess it just depends if you'd feel like that was "setup" or part of the game.

Maybe Hostage Negotiator would fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
Looking for ideas. I want a solitaire game with an immersive theme, ways to mitigate luck with tough and meaningful decisions, lots of fun and variability, with very few components.

If it's a card game, I want as few cards as possible. I'd kind of like a dice game (resource cubes and/or a small number of tiles would be okay, too), with a strong theme and not too much luck.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Impossible. I mean, you have to sacrifice something.

Hostage Negotiator has theme, few components and variability, but it's variability comes from randomness.

The Oniverse series has replayability, few components, and little luck, but no theme (Maybe Sylvion has some theme, I haven't played that one).

Wargames have variability, theme and control over the randomness with meaningful decisions, but a lot of components. Same for poster child Mage Knight.

Maybe there's a Holy Grail to find, but lower your expectations a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This blog may be something useful for you:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blog/2414/thematic-solitaires-spar...

One of the games mentioned on the blog is Maquis which is a thematic worker placement game that takes about 20 minutes to play. I think there are about 12 cards in the game, but it also has cubes for resources and for showing partial completion of goals, and pawns for the good workers and the bad workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Seeker in the Forest of Wyr

One deck of card, no other components needed.

Here is a short review of it:
As a Board Gamer - Printemplaying: The Seeker in the Forest of Wyr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Blue Steel wrote:

If it's a card game, I want as few cards as possible.

Friday is my favorite solo game and most played game overall. Not too many cards, not a ton of shuffling, small footprint. Whether the theme is immersive is up to you. Plays in about 25-30 minutes if you win. Some luck but you can get better and better at the game, so there must be skill there too.

By comparison, I shelved Sylvion quite a while ago.

Edit: adding...
Bowling Solitaire Simple, fun, thematic, 20 cards (from a standard deck), tough and meaningful decisions.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases This ticks all your boxes except variability. You'll only get to play it 10 times, but those 10 times will be rich and satisfying.

Rolling America 15 minute simple dice game. Excruciating decisions but the theme is meaningless. Still fun for me especially when I don't have enough time for Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
Space hulk: death angel

Small number of components. Looks like a lot of luck, but experienced players seem to have ways of mitigating (by that measure im not "experienced" yet). Very immersive theme and plays quickly; about 30 minutes once you get used to setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few I can think of that are fairly minimal:

Star Realms - Just some cards.

Flip City - Also just some cards, but even fewer in solo play.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age - Nice civ-building dice game. Iron Age is pretty good too. Dice, a score sheet, and a peg board for tracking resources.

Tiny Epic Galaxies - It's basically Roll Through the Ages: The Space Age. A bit more cards and pieces.

Harbour - Kind of a miniaturized Le Havre. Some building and role cards, and a few tokens for tracking workers and resources.

Dungeon Roll - Nice quick dice game, though not terribly deep. Dice, a character card, and some item and experience tokens.

Firefly: Shiny Dice - Sort of a more thinky Dungeon Roll. More dice, nice neoprene play mats, money and supply cards (they're used like tokens), and (optional) mission cards to add some surprises to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling America is a good solo dice game with few components, but has no theme.

Onirim is a great solo card game, but I think it will have too many cards for you especially if you include the expansions to add to the variability.

Hostage Negotiator has theme and dice, but can take a up a little more table space than some of the other games mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I could suggest you my game

Eldritch Express

"Looking for ideas. I want a solitaire game with an:"

- immersive theme = YES, it's lovecraft. The game feels like resource management.

- ways to mitigate luck = YES, You have some control on the dice, and you do not have much randomness (combat is deterministic)

- with tough and meaningful decisions = YES, since beside the action dice and the draw of the cards, there is no randomness, so you can plan ahead relatively well.

- lots of fun and variability = YES, fun it depends of your taste, variability, well there are 12 characters, and 6 ancient ones, so each game will be slightly different.

- with very few components = Unfortunately NO. Everything fits in a small fantasy flight box, but still there is a lot of stuff in there, and I might add more in the future as expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.