12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: I've got a Pretty Unique Idea. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cherry Projects
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I hear people's D&D stories and one day I thought of this pretty Good Idea. It really isn't complicated. You need two people min, One DM and a Player/s.

The DM has two ways of Playing. Improv and Dungeon. Improv is just that. You keep a note and pen and wrote down key points e.g Kingdom to the north, Beach to the south.

Dungeon mode requires a map you've made, preferably earlier. You draw a room, the monsters and the treasure chests, switches e.t.c.

The player can be whatever they Want. No rules apply here, Other than everyone Levels up at the same time, Get the same skills at the same time and generic stuff like that e.g

James wants to be Cell, A character from Dragon Ball Z. Jess, DM, had said at the start you get a set skill each 5 levels and a Skill of your choosing every 10 Levels, and the max level was 50, allowing 15 skills.

Cell has just finished the Boss from the Yellow Cavern. He was Now Level 10. At level 5 He chose to learn the Kamehameha, a simple Magic Attack which lets you roll a 10 sided dice. If you land 7, it would be 70 + MAG stat.

It just relies on creativity. Just wondering of I should make a full guide. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a spoof?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
derp de doo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say go for it, live the dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like it could use more structure. Anyone can just go and make up a scenario in their head. Care to flesh out the idea a little more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Not sure if joking or not. If not, you might want to google (or bing, or whatever) for Risus, Wushu, or more general something like "on page roleplaying system". There are hundreds of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go: Fudge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Already been done: Calvinball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Nomic itself. In the board game realm you can consider 1000 Blank White Cards a variant on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if you have played any RPGs outside of D&D? The reason I ask is that every so often someone, usually on Kickstarter, will mention that they have a unique RPG idea... mostly unique based on their experience of RPGs, which seems to be solely related to D&D and not the entire Indie RPG movement which has been going on for decades.

I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with a variety of RPGs outside of just D&D... some of the more famous ones are: Apocalypse World, Lady Blackbird, Microscope, Fate Core - which uses Fudge.

And you might also want to check out some of the more storytelling-oriented RPGs: SKEW, Tonight we slay a dragon, or die in the attempt, Cheat Your Own Adventure, A Doomed Pilgrim in the Ruins of the Future...

Also, if you have any RPG questions, you might get better answers over in the RPG Design Forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although more rules heavy, this sounds like the basis for something like the Hero System or GURPS that are not genre specific, and I know Otherworlds is also around at the very least. Multi-genre or genre agnostic rpgs have been around for many years and there have even been quite a few that used the d20 open system as well in the last 30+ years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elusid12 wrote:
I hear people's D&D stories and one day I thought of this pretty Good Idea. It really isn't complicated. You need two people min, One DM and a Player/s.

The DM has two ways of Playing. Improv and Dungeon. Improv is just that. You keep a note and pen and wrote down key points e.g Kingdom to the north, Beach to the south.

Dungeon mode requires a map you've made, preferably earlier. You draw a room, the monsters and the treasure chests, switches e.t.c.

The player can be whatever they Want. No rules apply here, Other than everyone Levels up at the same time, Get the same skills at the same time and generic stuff like that e.g

James wants to be Cell, A character from Dragon Ball Z. Jess, DM, had said at the start you get a set skill each 5 levels and a Skill of your choosing every 10 Levels, and the max level was 50, allowing 15 skills.

Cell has just finished the Boss from the Yellow Cavern. He was Now Level 10. At level 5 He chose to learn the Kamehameha, a simple Magic Attack which lets you roll a 10 sided dice. If you land 7, it would be 70 + MAG stat.

It just relies on creativity. Just wondering of I should make a full guide. Thoughts?

You've just described what my friends and I did in elementary school 30+ years ago. We just sat down under a shady tree, agreed to have person be the "final arbiter" but everyone was just making a story together.

Back then, it was more like James Bond meets Star Trek. We started out having bought the old Star Frontiers game just so we have a starting point for characters and equipment; but under that tree, all we had were our notebooks and a few dice. No big campaigns. No spellbooks. No complex handbooks.

20 years ago, I finally found a place that carried GURPs.

On one hand, having guidebooks like that would have made things easier.

On the other hand, we were really exercising our creativity and critical thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any given GM-less "oracle" game can fit. Like FU or Mythic.

As can any given "omni" system like Gurps or Big Eyes Small Mouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.