Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Escape from Innsmouth - compile evidence (SPOILERS!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post contains spoilers for scenario 2 - Escape from Innsmouth !

So I just played this scenario for the first time after 4 playthroughs of the first scenario (1 loss, 3 wins). Playthrough was solo with 2 investigators.

I guess I lost. But the game suddenly ended seemingly in the middle of it all leaving me with a weird sensation. It felt like losing the green eyed boy by opening up the freezer midway through the game (which is actualy way worse than right at the start of it, but I digress).

After uncovering a few clues scathered throughout the board I pressed the "compile evidence" button on the Old Journal item. Immediately after, the ending cinematic played claiming something along the lines that I was actually one of them and that Innsmouth was my home.

I explored about half of the map, there were some monsters roaming about but I managed to avoid them for the most part (only killed 2 of them in total). None of my characters became wounded or insane. I got a few horrors, but nothing out of the ordinary. Actually, I thought I was doing great! And yet suddenly the game ended. I enjoyed myself immensely, don't get me wrong. I believe as a scenario, this one is better than the first scenario by a long shot, but the ending was so sudden and unexpected. A bit anticlimactic actually.

So, what I really want to know, without giving out any spoilers about the other endings of this scenario, or where essential clues/items are found, what does the "compile evidence" thing actually do? As it appears that I lost as a direct result of pressing that button. It happened right in the middle of a turn and not at the end of a mythos phase (which I might have expected if I had run out of time or something).
Is the searching of evidence of the March Family actually something you have to avoid? Is that a typical H.P. Lovecraft reverse psychology thing that I need to get used to in this game as well?
Lastly, and maybe most importantly, is this working as intended? It didn't seem like a bug of some sort (the app did not freeze or anything) but it did come across as a weird and possibly unintended way to end a scenario.

Also, is there a point where the goal of the scenario becomes clear? All I had to do was escape (which I obviously failed at) with a boat. I investigated everything on the waterfront, but none of the derelict boats actually appeared to float. Also, nothing hinted at any risk of compiling the evidence I had gained so far. At least the green eyed boy scenario warned you not to open the freezer. I am still unsure about what it is that I actually did wrong.

Please be considerate in your responses and avoid spoilers if at all possible. If not, then please use spoiler tags when posting major storyline information. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woa. I've played this scenario twice, and "walked through" it another 2 times in the app just to see some of the variations, and I have yet to see that ending. The "compile clues" really just gives you evidence of how evil the Marsh family is. We've compiled evidence pretty much after every search token we uncovered, since it didn't cost an action. Without spoiling it, you do eventually try to escape the island and need to gather a few things, including enough evidence to incriminate the Marshes (which means you have to keep compiling the clues). I have yet to see an ending where one of the heroes is really a deep one. Weird...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
From what I recall... compiling the evidence just ends the whole scenario with a win.

Plus, if you want a really action oriented game;
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Killing the mob outside the hotel/house/etc will actually result in you winning the scenario too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Woa. I've played this scenario twice, and "walked through" it another 2 times in the app just to see some of the variations, and I have yet to see that ending. The "compile clues" really just gives you evidence of how evil the Marsh family is. We've compiled evidence pretty much after every search token we uncovered, since it didn't cost an action. Without spoiling it, you do eventually try to escape the island and need to gather a few things, including enough evidence to incriminate the Marshes (which means you have to keep compiling the clues). I have yet to see an ending where one of the heroes is really a deep one. Weird...

-shnar

That's what I did as well. It was harmless for the entirety of the game. Except that after uncovering one specific clue:

that the Marches regularly book boats to sail to Devils' Reef

compiling the clues ended the game.

Anyway, I am glad to hear that this apparently is not something that is usual. I will try again tomorrow and see how things may be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
From what I recall... compiling the evidence just ends the whole scenario with a win.

No. That is certainly not what happened...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Le Huray
Jersey
St. Johns
United Kingdom
msg tools
I like unusual themes.
mbmbmbmbmb
We got all the evidence, got on the boat and sailed away but didn't compile the evidence so lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah compiling evidence does not win the game, you still have to escape. I've played it 3xs and your scenario and what happened to you has not happened to me any of those times. I go around the map getting evidence/talking to people and then try to escape after compiling evidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Lönnqvist
Sweden
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
I've had that ending once.

I always figured it was because I collected to much evidence, but the comment about it being one specific piece of evidence makes more sense.

Anyway, I found it to be an ending (although a failure) that is very much in line with the mythos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Tessmann
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit curious - how many turns had you taken by the time you lost in that manner? I'm wondering if it was a hidden time limit you hit by taking too long. I would be awfully put off if there was just an arbitrary chance to fail the mission, or if it was because you acquired evidence out of order (without any way to know).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.