$5.00
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
We tested the game today, and came across two questions. When the Germans do their AI Automated moves during the Winter Phase, do their warbands ever split up into separate groups originating from one region? For example, if there are ten warbands in one Germanic location, do they split into two groups of five? How does it work? Or do they always move as one big group?

Also, can the Gallic tribes raid their own regions? I know to steal from another tribe, another tribe has to be present, but, can say for example, the Arverni raid their own regions just to generate resources?

Cheers, this game is superb!

Thanks, Ewan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Hi there,
We tested the game today, and came across two questions. When the Germans do their AI Automated moves during the Winter Phase, do their warbands ever split up into separate groups originating from one region? For example, if there are ten warbands in one Germanic location, do they split into two groups of five? How does it work? Or do they always move as one big group?

Also, can the Gallic tribes raid their own regions? I know to steal from another tribe, another tribe has to be present, but, can say for example, the Arveni raid their own regions just to generate resources?

Cheers, this game is superb!

Thanks, Ewan.
No, in the winter Germans will march from each origin region to just one destination as per 6.2.2, 3rd bullet.

Gallic factions can simply add one resource when raiding per warband flipped (unless the region is devastated), see the first bullet under the "Procedure" heading in rule 3.3.3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Niko, that's how we played those two rules in the first game we played as well. Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Niko, which COIN game would you recommend next to try in terms of complexity\similarity with Falling Sky?

I am lucky enough to own each game in the system.

Is the Vietnam game or the American Revolution game a big step up in terms of complexity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Also Niko, which COIN game would you recommend next to try in terms of complexity\similarity with Falling Sky?

I am lucky enough to own each game in the system.

Is the Vietnam game or the American Revolution game a big step up in terms of complexity?
I'd say go with what interests you.

I've played Liberty or Death and Andean Abyss only once each, Fire in the Lake a few more times.
To me they are all roughly equal on a rules complexity level. Strategy complexity is an entirely different matter and I haven't played any of the games enough to fully grasp the best strategies myself

FitL has the advantage that combat is not based on die rolls and therefore more predictable, LoD has you rolling dice and adding modifiers to determine how many losses are inflicted.
FitL also doesn't have leaders, while LoD's leaders change abilities throughout the game (but their abilities seemed smaller in scope than FS were you can execute SAs only near the leader)

Both give each faction a one time use card that can be played in place of the current event card. LoD's cards are all the same and give you one big push while FitL cards are all different, all have different conditions before they can be played, and need to be set up right to have the optimal impact.

Another difference is cards that add abilities that are ongoing until the end of the year/coup. FS doesn't have those, don't remember if LoD has them, but FitL definitely has them.

For all of them I'd recommend watching out for assumptions based on previous COIN games you played, the rules can differ in small yet important ways. E.g. some games have origin based movement while others have destination based movement (FS is origin based)

If you go with the one you have more interest in you won't go wrong though. They are all great games!

One last comment: LoD seemed a lot more team based than the other COIN games I've tried. Maybe that will change if I play it more, but since all factions have one unique victory condition and one they share with another faction the incentive to work together seemed much stronger.
Also, playing France was quite frustrating; in the beginning there's a short time where you don't have pieces on the board (pre war entry) and even after that my options felt limited due to low piece count.
I'm sure that would change with deeper insight into the strategy though.

EDIT: Well, that ended up a lot longer than I had planned
To sum it up: Personally I'd go for FitL, but it really boils down to which conflict interests you most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thanks Niko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Niko for the excellent rundown of differences!

Quote:
Another difference is cards that add abilities that are ongoing until the end of the year/coup. FS doesn't have those, don't remember if LoD has them, but FitL definitely has them.

These are called "Momentum" Events in COIN Series Volumes I-IV (including in Fire in the Lake). Liberty or Death does not have them -- or the more permanent "Capabilities" Events either -- as Harold and Mike decided to rely on the changing cast of Leaders to provide such lingering effects.

Enjoy! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Gallic factions can simply add one resource when raiding per warband flipped (unless the region is devastated), see the first bullet under the "Procedure" heading in rule 3.3.3.

By the way, when Gallic Factions Raid their own Regions in this way, it represents the extraction of resources from the many lesser tribes there. The game board depicts 30 named tribal locations, but there were well over 100 distinct tribes in Gaul at the time. So every region has several such additional tribes in it providing manpower within individual Warband pieces, fractions of single Resources during Raid or Harvest, and so on.

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.