Shakespeare» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unpaid characters vs. money as tie-braker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jozef Merges
Slovakia
flag msg tools
We had this situation in last 2-player game:

End score was 20:20. I had one unpaid character and could pay him only 2 pounds instead of 5. The question is: have I pay to that character at least my 2 pounds, or can I keep them for a tie-braker rule? Can a player, which has unpaid characters, have leftover money? My partner had only 1 pound (but all characters paid), so this question came around.

My opinion is, according tu rules about end scoring, that I must pay all money I have.

Thanks for help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
The end score was after your deduction for the unpaid character?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jozef Merges
Slovakia
flag msg tools
It was 22:20 for me, then minus 2 points for my unpaid character. So it was 20:20 and the leftover money had to decide. I had 2 pounds on unpaid character (salary 5), my girlfriend had 1 pound leftover.
The question is who won? Me, because I had 2 pounds on unpaid character (does money for tie-brakers belong to me or to character?), or my girlfriend because she had 1 pound leftover after paying all her characters.

I hope, I am clear blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you won. There is no rule that I can find requiring to to spend money on a character you cannot fully pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's ever been specified but my impression is you get to keep those two dollars. Why give them any money if they're going trash talk your production and drop your prestige by two points either way? haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have ran into a similar situation and have taken the opposite approach. I think it follows like a bankruptcy scenario where you pay all you can and then are left with nothing. It really wouldn't thematically or mechanically make sense that a tied situation would favor the person who couldn't pay for everything vs. the one who could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.