Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: A Horror without end.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I know I'm a bit late here. But I just saw that FFG are reprinting 1st edition content, in a 2nd. edition catch up collection box.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/12/a-horro...

Seriously what the hell?!
Great news for 2nd. edition owners, they get all that extra stuff for what I would assume half price. But WHY in Cthulhu's unholy name, would they not just reprint the 1st. edition stuff and EVERYBODY could be happy?!

It's not like the 2nd. edition completely replaces what the 1st. edition does.

I really can't see this any other way, than a big fuck you to all first edition owners, who didn't get a chance to finish out their collection. soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because they know they would get 0 sales out of a dead game?

-shnar
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the solo and co-op gamers won't want the early stuff, I suspect. The 1 vs many thing wasn't for everyone. And the notorious setup time and broken scenario issues might put people off, too.

And I say all that as an owner of MoM1, FA & CotW.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to get CotW and FA too, but I was too late. But in the end, I had 5 years (3 years for CotW) to get it and didn't. Can't blame a company for not selling a product anymore that I was just too late to pick up.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But WHY in Cthulhu's unholy name, would they not just reprint the 1st. edition stuff and EVERYBODY could be happy?!


because, as a 2nd edition owner, i just want the tiles and monsters - the rest would be useless to me.

i'm not sure what CotW and FA cost but I'm assuming (and we all know what can happen when we assume...) that it would be more than the 2nd edition expansions.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When these 1st ed packs were announced at the in-flight report my first reaction was the complete opposite of yours. I thought they were honoring new comers by giving them access to previous content. To me, this is FFG doing right by their customers.

Just my two cents...
-ryanjamal
6 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm sorry but I think your wrong.

FFG did a great fan service and smart business strategy by including 1st. edition content.
But MoM 2nd. edition is a completely different game. And the only reason its a 2nd. edition rather than an expansion is to boost sales, which is fine.
But then there are no reason why, both couldn't have existed side by side for a couple of print runs more. Especially since a) it just got a lot of revived buzz and b) The promise of another 1st. edition print run have been on FFG's website for more than a year!

And this is whats pissing me off. They actually did more work, in making this "best of" kit. Rather than just sending out the files for the one last reprint as they had announced they would.

Fact is there are 3 groups of people here.
Fans of the 1.st edition, fans of the 2nd. edition and fans of both editions. Had they done the planned reprint, all 3 groups would have been satisfied. Now, only 1 group of people are happy. And we all know they are going to come out with a ton of expansions for 2nd. edition anyway, so there was need to go this route.


Finally, Ill just say that MoM 1st. edition was not a broken game despite the misconception, that seems to be flying around. It wasn't perfect, but besides the horrible setup time and a few bad scenarios. It stood very well on its own. The only thing that really gave it, a bad reputation, was the Bad Silver Tablet PoD and broken Forbidden Alchemy expansion, which got fixed in the second print run.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you make a second version of something, you don't keep the first one around. Do you see any Stingray Corvettes (classic 70s model) being made new anymore? Of course not. Do you see Wizards making D&D 4th Ed anymore? Nope.

The last thing a game company will do once a new edition is out is keep the old edition alive. There's no need. It's bad business sense. That market has been tapped. If FFG were to make all 2nd Ed gamers buy 1st Ed games just for tiles and figures, there would have been a massive uproar! This was a great way to repackage some miniatures while not making the new comers feel jaded.

As for MoM 1st Ed, it's a highly convoluted, long game that scares even seasoned gamers away. I own everything 1st Ed, but I was only able to get it to the table once. I've gotten 2nd Ed now 5 different times with 3 different groups. 2nd Ed is quite the successful game here, while 1st Ed is still collecting dust. And while anecdotal, I'm confident that this is the case with many gaming groups. Due to this, spending any money on 1st Ed would be a business mistake on FFG's part. MoM is dead. Long live MoM!

-shnar
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The last thing a game company will do once a new edition is out is keep the old edition alive. There's no need. It's bad business sense. That market has been tapped. If FFG were to make all 2nd Ed gamers buy 1st Ed games just for tiles and figures, there would have been a massive uproar! This was a great way to repackage some miniatures while not making the new comers feel jaded.

^This!
I believe you are wrong by saying that by reprinting 1st edition, all 3 groups would be happy. 2nd edition owners would feel cheated into buying into a completely different game just so they can play their new one.
At least I would (and I only own 1st edition, not 2nd, so far...)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Tjazz wrote:
But MoM 2nd. edition is a completely different game. And the only reason its a 2nd. edition rather than an expansion is to boost sales, which is fine.

Wholeheartedly agree.
shnar wrote:
As for MoM 1st Ed, it's a highly convoluted, long game that scares even seasoned gamers away.

This is utter nonsense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lee elektrik wrote:

shnar wrote:
As for MoM 1st Ed, it's a highly convoluted, long game that scares even seasoned gamers away.

This is utter nonsense.

Not with players in my area. 20+ seasoned boardgamers refuse to play it...

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
lee elektrik wrote:

shnar wrote:
As for MoM 1st Ed, it's a highly convoluted, long game that scares even seasoned gamers away.

This is utter nonsense.

Not with players in my area. 20+ seasoned boardgamers refuse to play it...

-shnar


I think that 2nd Edition will have a broader appeal, and that several of the scenarios in the 1st Edition were convoluted and overlong, but 1st Edition is a great game for the right set of players, and personally I've VERY pleased that I got all the 1st Edition content before it went out of print. Call of the Wild added some awesome elements to the game, and made it feel fresh again.

I've played a couple scenarios with newer players, and they're very excited to play again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
lee elektrik wrote:

shnar wrote:
As for MoM 1st Ed, it's a highly convoluted, long game that scares even seasoned gamers away.

This is utter nonsense.

Not with players in my area. 20+ seasoned boardgamers refuse to play it...

-shnar


i love the first edition game but i agree that is can be very tedious to set up, play and tear down and mostly because of the time commitment it got played once by my group and never again. which is a shame because we wanted to play it more.

but

the same group has played the 2nd edition four times now and will be playing a lot more in the future. so i think it's fair to say it's much more than a mere expansion - it's more of a re-boot that broadens the appeal and makes it more accessible to a lot more gamers while still being very much mansions of madness.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I find this line of argument that says "2nd edition does this so it's awesome but 1st edition does this other thing, which is rubbish, so it's worthless" to be incredibly asinine and tiresome.

They do different things. That's where the accuracy in this line of argument ends.

I don't consider 1st edition to be a bad game that's been replaced by a better one, and truthfully I don't think a lot of the people offering that kind of sentiment would have thought that either just a few short months ago before we had heard of this new edition. It's amazing how the 'cult of the new' phenomenon works in the board game world.

Me and my GF love 2nd edition but at the moment we can't play it because we have exhausted the replayability of the scenarios. This has led to me getting 1st edition back out to recap on the rules and we're planning to play it again. Rereading the rules and scenarios reminds me of so many of the aspects of the game that I like that are missing in 2nd edition (replaced with some other qualities which I also like). I intend to play both versions of the game. I refuse to buy into this herd 'cult of the new' mentality that insists there can only be one approved version of the game and the other must be obsolete.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Marques
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
High Flying Bird wrote:
I find this line of argument that says "2nd edition does this so it's awesome but 1st edition does this other thing, which is rubbish, so it's worthless" to be incredibly asinine and tiresome.

They do different things. That's where the accuracy in this line of argument ends.

I don't consider 1st edition to be a bad game that's been replaced by a better one, and truthfully I don't think a lot of the people offering that kind of sentiment would have thought that either just a few short months ago before we had heard of this new edition. It's amazing how the 'cult of the new' phenomenon works in the board game world.

Me and my GF love 2nd edition but at the moment we can't play it because we have exhausted the replayability of the scenarios. This has led to me getting 1st edition back out to recap on the rules and we're planning to play it again. Rereading the rules and scenarios reminds me of so many of the aspects of the game that I like that are missing in 2nd edition (replaced with some other qualities which I also like). I intend to play both versions of the game. I refuse to buy into this herd 'cult of the new' mentality that insists there can only be one approved version of the game and the other must be obsolete.


Very well said Justin! I couldn't have said better! CotW I actually think is ok to setup, comparing with other games like Agricola which have also a lot of cards and components.And for what the game gives me storywise this setuptime is perfectly acceptable to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.