$20.00
$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Hit Z Road» Forums » General

Subject: That Name... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought I'd say this but I can't see myself buying or even trying this game simply on name alone. Hey guys, wanna play "Hit Z Road"? Get it?

Reminds me of the movie Office Space. Remember the guy that invented the game "Jump to Conclusions" where you jumped to conclusions? So clever
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's silly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game > Name
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Never thought I'd say this but I can't see myself buying or even trying this game simply on name alone. Hey guys, wanna play "Hit Z Road"? Get it?

Reminds me of the movie Office Space. Remember the guy that invented the game "Jump to Conclusions" where you jumped to conclusions? So clever


I find bizarre that someone who calls himself 'Sky Zero' has prejudices based on names...especially names containing the letter 'Z'.


shake
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Vos
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Let's play a game with Sky Zero"
"With whom????"
"With Sky Zero"
"Hahaha. No, seriously, let's play with someone else"
14 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Never thought I'd say this but I can't see myself buying or even trying this game simply on name alone. Hey guys, wanna play "Hit Z Road"? Get it?

Reminds me of the movie Office Space. Remember the guy that invented the game "Jump to Conclusions" where you jumped to conclusions? So clever


Yet you took the time to find the game's section on BGG AND make a post about it.

There's actually a story behind the name, or more importantly, the game's overall design. The premise is that the game that we get was cobbled together by someone living in a zombie apocalypse using scraps they found on their travels from Chicago to L.A. I believe. The box looks like an old worn board game box called "Hit the Road" -- with a "Z" scribbled over the "the". The tokens look like bottle caps, the cards are weathered with logos on them from the places they were found, and much of the game has a hand-crafted appearance.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stevenson
United Kingdom
Watford
Herts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I see the banner advert, I keep thinking "Hit Zed Road - what does that mean?"

Obviously, the game is set in (and predominantly targeted at) the USA where the pronunciation of Z makes that pun work, but my reflexive interpretation is that the title looks like gobbledegook.

Its worse than when I first read (crucially, not heard) about a musician that I assumed believed was called Jay Zed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it should have been called 'Hit Z Road, Jack'.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm hoping the cognitive dissonance of the name outwith the US will result in it hitting the bargain basement soon and hard. It's a piece of Wallaciana so I have to have it; just not at retail price.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Personally, I think it should have been called 'Hit Z Road, Jack'.


What you say?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Miller
United States
Hoover
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmb
skyzero wrote:
Never thought I'd say this but I can't see myself buying or even trying this game simply on name alone. Hey guys, wanna play "Hit Z Road"? Get it?


Games you marked as "Owned" with just as silly names (IMO):

Dead Panic
Fantastiqa
Shinobi WAT-AAH!
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre

I'll give Loopin' Louie a pass since it's a children's game.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Never thought I'd say this but I can't see myself buying or even trying this game simply on name alone. Hey guys, wanna play "Hit Z Road"? Get it?

Reminds me of the movie Office Space. Remember the guy that invented the game "Jump to Conclusions" where you jumped to conclusions? So clever


More for me then.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
msg tools
mbmbmb
I Believe the name was supposed to be "Route 66" or some such but had to change because of copyright.

But I have heard way worse game names. Agree that it should have been "Hit Z Road, Jack"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
bobombsayian wrote:
I Believe the name was supposed to be "Route 66" or some such but had to change because of copyright.

But I have heard way worse game names. Agree that it should have been "Hit Z Road, Jack"


Route 666.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
bobombsayian wrote:
I Believe the name was supposed to be "Route 66" or some such but had to change because of copyright.

But I have heard way worse game names. Agree that it should have been "Hit Z Road, Jack"


Route 666.



I was seriously so Pumped for the game when it was called "Route 666". I don't know why, but just the title change to "Hit Z Road" bumped it from an instant Wallace buy like "Mythotopia" (will never regret the extra shipping on that one), to a wait and see like "Via Nebula". Hmmmm. I do really try hard to not judge a game by its cover. Look at the cover of "Mythotopia" as example. lolz.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jadehope wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
bobombsayian wrote:
I Believe the name was supposed to be "Route 66" or some such but had to change because of copyright.

But I have heard way worse game names. Agree that it should have been "Hit Z Road, Jack"


Route 666.



I was seriously so Pumped for the game when it was called "Route 666". I don't know why, but just the title change to "Hit Z Road" bumped it from an instant Wallace buy like "Mythotopia" (will never regret the extra shipping on that one), to a wait and see like "Via Nebula". Hmmmm. I do really try hard to not judge a game by its cover. Look at the cover of "Mythotopia" as example. lolz.


We can call it Route 666 regardless of the name on the box.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
da pyrate wrote:
Jadehope wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
bobombsayian wrote:
I Believe the name was supposed to be "Route 66" or some such but had to change because of copyright.

But I have heard way worse game names. Agree that it should have been "Hit Z Road, Jack"


Route 666.



I was seriously so Pumped for the game when it was called "Route 666". I don't know why, but just the title change to "Hit Z Road" bumped it from an instant Wallace buy like "Mythotopia" (will never regret the extra shipping on that one), to a wait and see like "Via Nebula". Hmmmm. I do really try hard to not judge a game by its cover. Look at the cover of "Mythotopia" as example. lolz.


We can call it Route 666 regardless of the name on the box.



I'm rather pleased with Route 6Z6. So that's what I call it.


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
Yeah, I gotta say, I came here just looking to see if anyone else was bugged by the name. I was drawn to it by the original title, route 666.

With this change, all I hear is someone with some ridiculous, fake, over-the-top german accent saying "hit zee road" in my head.

Though I am Canadian, so it should technically be Hit Zed Road... but that's weird too...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty darn good game and the name doesn't bother me so much anymore.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.