Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarifications (timing windows, etc.) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Monson
msg tools
Hey all, I am playing in a campaign currently on the Rebel side and have some questions for how certain abilities interact. These haven't come up yet, but I believe some of them will soon. Our imperial player is playing the new Covert Ops class.

1. How do timing windows and priority of resolving simulatanous abilities work? For example, say I have a gun with Disruption cell and the Empire has access to Shadow Armor. Both of these cards have a trigger of when I declare an attack. If Shadow Armor triggers first and they give me -2 accuracy, maybe I'd want to exchange my green die for a red one instead of my blue die to ensure I have the accuracy I need. In what order would simultaneous Empire and Rebel abilities occur? Similarly say I am Mak and want to use Ambush, but I only want to use it if I am guaranteed to hit, which I might not if the Empire uses Shadow armor.

2. Are there timing windows to resolve an effect while in the middle of resolving another effect? Say I am Davith and have Fell Swoop and the Radiant Holocron. Can I attack, exhaust Fell Swoop to perform another attack, and while finishing resolving that ability, use Radiant Holocron to ready Fell Swoop again, allowing me to trigger it again with the attack from the first Fell Swoop? What if I used Falling Leaf to add a yellow die to the original attack and a trigger Fell Swoop. Can I use the Radiant Holocron to ready Falling Leaf so that it applies to the Fell Swoop attack? For reference, Radiant Holocron just says that it can be used during Davith's activation.

3. Lastly, suppose I have the R5 droid companion that goes around and gets items from crates, but can only interact with each crate once. Can the droid interact with a crate it hasn't interacted with yet but that has already been picked up and is being carried by a hero?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
3. R5 can only Forage a crate that is on the map (Note: it isn't an interact because companions cannot interact).

1. See timing, page 2 of RR2.

During Attacks: Mission/core rules, attacker, defender abilities
Otherwise in Campaign: Mission/core rules, imperial, rebel abilities
Otherwise in Skirmish: Mission/core rules, player with initiative, the other player.

See Timing of attack-related abilities.

2. Generally during your activation abilities can only be performed outside of actions. (For example spending movement points.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For example Ambush is performed when declaring target (Step 1 of the attack), so it must be done before rolling the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turkishvancat wrote:
1. How do timing windows and priority of resolving simulatanous abilities work? For example, say I have a gun with Disruption cell and the Empire has access to Shadow Armor. Both of these cards have a trigger of when I declare an attack. If Shadow Armor triggers first and they give me -2 accuracy, maybe I'd want to exchange my green die for a red one instead of my blue die to ensure I have the accuracy I need. In what order would simultaneous Empire and Rebel abilities occur? Similarly say I am Mak and want to use Ambush, but I only want to use it if I am guaranteed to hit, which I might not if the Empire uses Shadow armor.

The Timing section at the very front of the Rules Reference Guide has a lot of info on this, as does the Conflicts section.

During attacks, it's Mission rules, then attacker abilities then defender abilities. Outside of this in Campaign, it's Mission, then Imperial, then Rebels and in Skirmish, it's Mission then Initiative player, then other players (or players in order of Initiative in 4-player).

So in the cases you mention, your abilities would need to come first as you are the attacker. You decide whether you activate them before the defender decides whether to use theirs.

Quote:
2. Are there timing windows to resolve an effect while in the middle of resolving another effect? Say I am Davith and have Fell Swoop and the Radiant Holocron. Can I attack, exhaust Fell Swoop to perform another attack, and while finishing resolving that ability, use Radiant Holocron to ready Fell Swoop again, allowing me to trigger it again with the attack from the first Fell Swoop? What if I used Falling Leaf to add a yellow die to the original attack and a trigger Fell Swoop. Can I use the Radiant Holocron to ready Falling Leaf so that it applies to the Fell Swoop attack? For reference, Radiant Holocron just says that it can be used during Davith's activation.

Actions and abilities must complete before another ability or action can be performed. However, an ability that specifically interrupts another event will pause that event until it is complete.

Having said that, 'during your activation abilities' do follow the above rules that they are outside other actions only, not during. Thus, Radiant Holicron could not be used during the attack that generated Fell Swoop, and there is no timing between the two attacks to activate it.

Quote:
3. Lastly, suppose I have the R5 droid companion that goes around and gets items from crates, but can only interact with each crate once. Can the droid interact with a crate it hasn't interacted with yet but that has already been picked up and is being carried by a hero?

No. You can interact with crate tokens on the board, not ones that players have claimed. Also note that carrying and claimed are two different things, so you should be careful about your wording. Look at the Retrieving Tokens section for more info on tokens that are carried. Having said that, nobody can Interact with a carried token either, unless specifically mentioned otherwise in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the interrupt overrides the timing of during the activation abilities. (I.e. the trigger does not allow you to interrupt, the interrupt is a consequence if you trigger it out of your own activation.)
Radiant Holocron wrote:
Exhaust this card during your activation or at the start of another activation to interrupt to ready 1 of your class cards.

RRG wrote:
· An ability that can be used "during your activation" can be used before or after performing an action during an activation. It cannot be used while resolving an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh right... I agree. That's how I used to treat it, but there was some ruling that made me think otherwise. Clearly this was not it.

I've fixed my above post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Monson
msg tools
Thanks for the great explanation! Here's one more question. I am Mak and am interested in getting the Valken 38 Carbine. If I use the special ability on that weapon to perform an attack on a target that would otherwise be out of my line of sight, am I able to use No Escape afterwards, or would it fizzle/miss since I no longer have LOS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must calculate LoS to make the second attack, so the attack from No Escape cannot be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mak would need his Acquire Target class card for that combo.

Mak can perform an attack using the double-action from Valken-38 Carbine, then trigger No Escape and Acquire Target together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.