mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Can i please check something, i have two forest floes that are now passing engagement checks. Do i assigned the damage ( 2 as there are two of them) to each exhausted character at this point. Or do i assign defenders and then assign the damage? Does this happen every time i block?

Also does it happen to attackers as well? And every time i attack them?

Basically these two cards have me beat.

Cheers for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like you might have a misunderstanding about the engagement rules. There's a rather common mistake that many people make when playing this game for the first time, and that's to think that after enemies engage you and attack you, they go back to the staging area (where their engagement costs would be checked again). This is incorrect. When enemies attack you, they do not return to the staging area after the attack (unless a card effect, like the one on Wargs, tells them to do so). The Forest Flies will only engage you once. When they move from the staging area to your play area, you trigger their effect at that time, and deal 1 damage to each of your characters that are exhausted at the moment they engage you. But that's it: they will not engage you a second time. Once they are in your play area, they stay there until you have killed them, attacking you (and being attacked) each round. If you don't finish them off this round, they will stay in your play area next round, and will attack you again at the start of the next Combat phase -- but they will not engage you a second time, because they are already engaged with you.

Or maybe you aren't making the "enemies keep returning to the staging area and re-engaging" mistake, and you're just confused about when the "After you engage Forest Flies" effect triggers. It triggers only once per card, at the time when the card leaves the staging area and enters your play area. This will usually be during the Engagement phase of the turn sequence, but it can happen outside the Engagement phase due to a card effect. (For example, if you play Son of Arnor during the Planning phase, before you've had to commit any chararacters to the quest, and you choose to engage Forest Flies at that time, that's when their engagement effect will trigger -- and since you probably have no exhausted characters at that point, you'll take no damage!) The "After you engage Forest Flies" trigger is a one-off effect, and does not create a lasting effect: once you have finished putting one point of damage on all the characters who were exhausted at the time you engaged the Forest Flies, that effect ends. Any characters who exhaust later (due to defending against any enemy, or attacking any enemy) will not have to take a point of damage to do so.

By the way, in case you were wondering, the FAQ says there's no difference between cards that read "After (enemy name) engages you" and cards that read "After you engage (enemy name)":

FAQ wrote:
When a player engages an enemy, that enemy has also engaged him, and when an enemy engages a player, that player has also engaged that enemy. There is no difference between engaging an enemy and being engaged by an enemy. Effects that trigger “after an enemy engages you” will trigger at the same time as effects that trigger “after you engage an enemy.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! An absolutely awesome response. It was the timing i was confused on and thanks to you thats completely cleared up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.