Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
The rules say if you build 3 ships together you can form a fleet without spending a command.

However the Cardassian Advancement Covert Military Bases allow you to build 3 ships in an uncontrolled system.

Is the requirement for forming a fleet just building 3 ships together or is a starbase/homeworld/Field retrofit protocols still required?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
normally, you can only commission fleets in systems with your homeworld or starbases, the fact that you can build ships isnt enough to allow you to commission fleets there.

but the cardassians are in luck as their tech "field retrofit protocols" allows commissioning fleets in any sector.
so with both techs combined, you could indeed build those 3 ships directly into a fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rulebook says when you build 3 or more ships in the same system, you may immediately form them into a fleet. It doesn't say the system must be a starbase/homeworld. It doesn't even say you have to control it.

I'd say yes, you can build a fleet, as long as you're building 3 or more ships in a system at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
The rulebook says when you build 3 or more ships in the same system, you may immediately form them into a fleet. It doesn't say the system must be a starbase/homeworld. It doesn't even say you have to control it.

I'd say yes, you can build a fleet, as long as you're building 3 or more ships in a system at once.

It does specifically say your Home system or your starbase on page 22. They even say that those are the only places that have equipment to retrofit ships for specialized fleet configurations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

It does specifically say your Home system or your starbase on page 22. They even say that those are the only places that have equipment to retrofit ships for specialized fleet configurations.

That's commissioning a fleet from pre-existing ships during your action phase, not building a fleet from scratch in the building phase. Check out page 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
John1701 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

That's commissioning a fleet from pre-existing ships during your action phase, not building a fleet from scratch in the building phase. Check out page 8.

And it also says to check page 22 for the full details on fleets. So page 8 is an abriviated form of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe that's referring to the rules on using fleets, not on building them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It clearly states on page 22 under forming fleets that the fleet must be commissioned at your home world or your star base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also only build ships at your home world or a star base, so the point is moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MilkFromACow wrote:
You can also only build ships at your home world or a star base, so the point is moot.

Check out the thread's subject line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 8 limits the Fleet build to home system or starbase. Page 22 repeats it. The original question now reforms itself thus:

Since you normally can only build a fleet in a home system or starbase, are their any circumstances which allow the Cardassians to form a fleet just by building three ships in a system without these requirements? If so, which Advancements would they require?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Preder
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
MilkFromACow wrote:

Check out the thread's subject line.

Ah yes, I was not speaking in relation to the Cardassian's, so I apologize. I completely skipped over the relevant information in the OP.

I think the answer now is in Angelus Seniores post. Yes, you could build 3 ships and commission them into a fleet, but ONLY if you have the two relevant advancements required to do this....
field retrofit protocols and Covert Military bases. If you do not have both of them, you could not build and commission the fleet in a sector that was not your homeworld or one of your star bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.