Trickerion: Legends of Illusion» Forums » General

Subject: Gentleman Ability + Dark alley Cards + Hellhound rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Euan D
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off I just want to say I love this game. Best game of 2016 for me (I know it was released in 2015, but our group only discovered it this year).

I've played this 4 times now and our average winning scores have been around 120(ish). Yesterday we played it and one player found a combo that seemed a little overpowered. Ive read a few threads on here about each of the individual bits but we found that the combination of the three was a but hard to compete against.

So the player had the Gentleman and his ability is that he gets fame equal to the number of trick cards he has when he places his magician on the market row, Downtown or Dark alley spaces. So this player started by stacking cheap tricks that generate shards, and then throughout the game tended to place his magician on the dark alley to mine cards, earning him 3 fame with each placement. Alongside this he worked towards the Hellhound trick which effectively doubles the end game scoring for the special action cards he was collecting and he was seeding the theater with tricks to keep his fame and shards ticking along, as any good Gentleman player would do.

To add to the perfect storm we also had the prophesy that allowed the purchase of cards for 1 AP, so that round he was able to take 6 cards. (3ap from the Magician, 2 AP from the space bonus and a shard).

At final scoring, he had 11 cards squirreled away, earning him 44 points, putting him well in the lead at 155 points. The next player was on 133 earned through regular trick preparation and performance.

While the 44 points earned by the Gentleman seems a lot, the player said he only worked out his strategy halfway through the game, and if he had focused on it earlier he could of hoarded a few more cards away, each at 4 points.

As I said earlier I know there are already a couple of threads about on the hellhound and on the special action card end game scoring, but its this combo (including the gentleman) that really needs looking at IMHO. People may say that this strategy could be blocked in the dark alley, or by securing the hellhound before this player can, but we have found when playing Trickerion you really need to focus on what you are doing to achieve your maximum efficiency to do well. Wasting an action to buy a trick you may not be able to perform just to block a player may slow them down, but it will also likely effect your end game score as well.

Our group thinks that we may house rule the SA card end game scoring to be worth 1 point per card to bring them in line with the end game scoring of the shards, and the hellhound card to also give 1 additional point per card instead of 2. If this was the case in our last game, the Gentleman would have scored the same as the second player, and it would of gone to tiebreak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Dantas
Brazil
João Pessoa
Paraíba
flag msg tools
Any further thoughts on this, guys and gals? Did the designers ever say anything about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carstein Wei
msg tools
IMHO, we can modify the score of special assignment card.
Change it from 2 fame per card into 2/2/2/2/1/1/1/1....
It may keep the designer's idea which is try to make up those useless
card. But also won't let players always want to rush dark alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.