Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just spent several hours painting some cultists for MoM 2e. I finished off my last can of matte finish, but I had a new can of Rustoleum all ready to go.

Unfortunately, the Rustoleum seems to have caused a problem. It looks almost like there is a permanent layer of dust on the miniatures, and they are a little rough to the touch. cry I did these minis identical to some others last night (which turned out fine), with the exception of the Rustoleum.

Anyone have any ideas how I might clean up these miniatures without starting over from scratch? Anyone else encounter this issue with Rustoleum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGAC California
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could indicate a bit of a humidity problem, or there's media dried in the stem messing with the flow. I have had this problem here in California. I have taken a soft toothbrush and gently (very very gently)scrubbed over my completely dried miniatures to take off some of the dusty finish. It doesn't get it all, but it does act like a mile abrasive for smoothing down the finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that with some matte sprays you have to do VERY light coats or you get that gritty finish. I normally use it on paper and rubbing it takes the grit off, I'm sure you could do the same with your minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had the same thing happen with Citadel's matte finish so now I only use Testor's Dullcote which never "frosts".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had to experiment with different brands. Down here in Florida it's always humid so I have to wait for "spraypainting season"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kythrid wrote:
I actually had the same thing happen with Citadel's matte finish so now I only use Testor's Dullcote which never "frosts".

Actually I have had Testors Dullcoat frost effect before. It's all about temperature and humidity. Never use it on hot rainy days.

OP, some people say that spraying the minis again fixes the frost issue. Make sure to do it in a cool temperature room. I've never done it myself, I've just read it here somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with most that it is probably temperature/humidity related, however...

...I've seen this while spraying if the nozzle is too close to the mini (Testors Dullcote), but it dried clear. Not sure if another brand would remain foggy after drying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
OP, some people say that spraying the minis again fixes the frost issue. Make sure to do it in a cool temperature room. I've never done it myself, I've just read it here somewhere.

The frost is moisture trapped under the dried finish. It also happens when you varnish miniatures. For varnish, at least, another coat or application of olive oil helps. Myself, I've painted over the frost (I've only varnished game tiles because their surfaces will have more wear than ordinary miniatures). For OP, maybe the finish dried before hitting the miniature, like what happens to spray primers? I usually don't varnish or seal my miniatures, but don't paint above advanced tabletop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a wash on these, so there is the possibility that there was still a bit of moisture on the mini. It was also the hottest part of the day, so it's possible some of the finish was drying too quickly.

I hit them with another coat this morning with no effect. I might try a brush on finish on a couple of them to see if I can even things out.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McLaughlin
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Applied some brush on Vallejo matte varnish. Though it didn't remove the frost effect completely, it did improve things. Went ahead and finished up rebasing the minis. Turned out okay.

Thanks again everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a similar problem using a Rustoleum primer - it was quite gritty. Painting over it with decent quality miniature paints and varnishing made it almost unnoticeable.

Rob Oren (
robert oren
United States
grand island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
, I think) did something about this on a recent Boardgame breakfast from the Dice Tower. I can't remember the details but he attributed to the can having been sat on the shelf for a long time and drying out a bit. He suggested a fix for future use of the paint, which again I can't recall in full (sorry this post isn't all that helpful), but it was long the lines of shaking the can thoroughly before spraying until your spray stops spluttering (presumably blowing off the dried particulate paint).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Army painter matte varnish can do it too - if it looks hopeless and in need of stripping, sometimes blatting it with more of the varnish can clear up the frosting. It's not guaranteed, but when you have nothing to lose it's worth a shot (I'd say one time in five it'll cure it based on personal experience).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool Mint
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
This is the link to the video segment from Rob Oren mentioned by David Banks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The frosting/pebbly effect can also happen if it's extremely dry and you're spraying from too far away. The varnish basically dries before it it hits the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.