$20.00
Ashish Nair
msg tools
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I don't have the game so haven't played, but have read and watched SO many different posts, reviews, and videos on this game, just trying to be absolutely sure before buying the ultimate edition. With that being said, I was wondering if anyone has tried variants like these at all, or whether they think they could work?

To avoid player elimination from an alien attacking another alien, instead, we could either do:

1. Stun the victim alien for 1 or 2 turns (they can't move).

2. Stun both aliens for 1 or 2 turns

3. Victim alien is permanently injured (now can only move 1 space per turn)

I think any of these ways the penalty for attacking another alien is still pretty harsh, without needing to remove them from the game. The only issue would be, except for no. 2, the attacking alien doesn't get a penalty, but I think there was another post that addressed this.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts/experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Holman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've also ran it as "Alien which got attacked starts over from Alien sector", which fixes the player elimination, but doesn't punish the mistake enough.

Your variants sound better! I also think making the attacking alien start over from the starting sector and lose any movement increases would work as well.

Overall, the alien on alien case is rare enough that the player elimination isn't a huge problem, and I wouldn't let it dissuade you from buying the ultimate edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
Thanks for replying; adding the alien respawn on top could be a necessary increased punishment (thematically it could be a new alien replacing the now 'dead' one).

I absolutely love the idea of the game, but I have more issues it, mainly wondering about how fun everyone else I play with will find it. I'm also unclear on how open the talking would be, apart from the odd accusation and retort.

And since a lot of this game requires more engagement from the player mentally (i.e. to get into the theme) than usual, I just worry people will find it a bore (especially since I learned my brother did not find Deception: Murder in Hong Kong fun (which I love the idea of, having done similar 'research' into it), and has qualms about EFTAIOS). Everyone I play with really like's Resistance: Avalon, but don't get into discussion and executing their roles well as much as I'd like, so that's the kind of thing I'm worried about.

And for a similar price point, Captain Sonar is a similar enough (imo) 'party game' for 8 that due to the required teamwork and real-time aspect could bypass the issues I have with EFTAIOS.

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet, print and play and try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
So I tried it just yesterday, just the base game, and only 4 players, all our first time, and it went surprisingly well. I liked it a lot, and definitely saw the draw for the upgraded components in the Ultimately Edition. The banter was not an issue, we just went with 'open discussion and accusations allowed, including lying'.

And regarding aliens killing aliens being rare, I can definitely see that now, but I also see the potential for the someone to be out for too long if it ever were to happen. So I think even increasing the 'stun' penalty to 5 turns would work, possibly (but no teleport back to Alien spawn), or something like that.

I've bought the Ultimate Edition now, so after a few more plays, hopefully I'll have a clearer idea on the penalty. Stoked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.