Hide
6 Posts

Quantum» Forums » Rules

Subject: No more room for cubes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kripto sporidium
msg tools
So after a prolonged struggle in a 3-way game using the basic setup (the 3x3 thing for 3 players), I suddenly came to a realization - I didn't have anywhere to put a cube! I wish I had taken a picture, but the situation came about where every planet either already had my cube on it, or didn't have any room. Since according to the rules, you can only have one cube per planet, and the victory condition is "placing your last quantum cube", This meant that the game was rendered unwinnable.

My friends being cool, they gave me the win when I reached 6 dominance, but the question remains - What do you do when you are completely out of room for cubes? Is there a special rule we missed, or are you just screwed and completely unable to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Are you sure you used the 3 player basic map setup? The planet numbers are different per player count. The 3p map has spaces for 16 cubes, and each player has 5 cubes to place, so there should have been at least 4 spaces available (assuming 3 players each with 4 cubes placed) when you placed the final one to win.

Edit: Or, were you using more than 5 cubes? My copy came with 7 per player, but the basic setup only uses 5.

Also, the "Sector Maps" sheet has a section "Avoiding shut-out" that describes how to ensure that never happens when designing your own maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
To prevent being locked out, you should use the Quantum: Entanglement Add-on Pack alternate set of rules.

Quote:
You can normally have only ONE of your quantum cubes on a planet. However, if the ONLY available space on the entire map is on a planet where you already have a cube, then you CAN place multiple cubes there. The special case of placing a second (or third, or fourth) cube of the same color on a planet is called quantum entanglement. When you construct with quantum entanglement, add 3 to the planet number for each cube you already have there. Remember - quantum entanglement can only happen if you have no other choice for placing a quantum cube.

You can find this and other comments from the designer here: From the designer: a few small changes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël Langella
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The entanglement add on also has a revised version of the sector beta map to address this issue. The change is described in the designer post linked above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kripto sporidium
msg tools
hypoxic wrote:
Are you sure you used the 3 player basic map setup? The planet numbers are different per player count. The 3p map has spaces for 16 cubes, and each player has 5 cubes to place, so there should have been at least 4 spaces available (assuming 3 players each with 4 cubes placed) when you placed the final one to win.

Edit: Or, were you using more than 5 cubes? My copy came with 7 per player, but the basic setup only uses 5.

Also, the "Sector Maps" sheet has a section "Avoiding shut-out" that describes how to ensure that never happens when designing your own maps.

We double- and triple-checked the basic setup chart, and we used the appropriate 5 cubes.

Robman wrote:
To prevent being locked out, you should use the Quantum: Entanglement Add-on Pack alternate set of rules.

Quote:
You can normally have only ONE of your quantum cubes on a planet. However, if the ONLY available space on the entire map is on a planet where you already have a cube, then you CAN place multiple cubes there. The special case of placing a second (or third, or fourth) cube of the same color on a planet is called quantum entanglement. When you construct with quantum entanglement, add 3 to the planet number for each cube you already have there. Remember - quantum entanglement can only happen if you have no other choice for placing a quantum cube.

You can find this and other comments from the designer here: From the designer: a few small changes

Alright, cool. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
kriptosporidium wrote:
We double- and triple-checked the basic setup chart, and we used the appropriate 5 cubes.

I can see what you mean now, after thinking about it a bit more. You've saved me the confusion if/when I run into that myself, so thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.