Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just played "Rolling Stock" which was not really good, but since you control all parts of the economy, you could almost play the game as a solitaire game.

So I was wondering, if there were actually stock market solitaire game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I have just played "Rolling Stock" which was not really good, but since you control all parts of the economy, you could almost play the game as a solitaire game.

So I was wondering, if there were actually stock market solitaire game?

In fact, there *is* a solitaire stock market game, and a pretty good one too -- it was invented by none other than Sid Sackson.

The downside is that it's one of six games included in the book Beyond Solitaire, so you'll need to track down a copy of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etrade ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite published designs is a stock market game with a solitaire variant:

Nyse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing for sure, the components look cool.

In "rolling Stocks" it plays similarly to 18xx, you acquire companies and fusion them into corp the same way train company can buy small companies.

You have 1 foreign buyer that can buy a company every turn or so, which is some form of AI. Else I thought of maybe adding some shares from other companies that the player could buy besides his own shares, and the game is pretty much playable solo.

The idea of Stock Market is normally to be able to buy the shares of other companies, and use the profit of others to benefit your self. It's almost the only multiplayer interaction. I could make a game where the player can only buy his own shares but it will feel pretty dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a web broker every month and play a solitaire stock market "game".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I came up with these in a search:

1829 Mainline
Stock Market Guru

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should I searched my self, I did not realized that I could filter criteria like that.

As for playing real stock market, I prefer the way "Stock Marker guru" says it on it's box:

"The 'no risk' way to play the market"

Suits better for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old 3M game Stocks & Bonds is just basically multiplayer solitaire. Just try to see how much money you can make by the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stock market is a game already. You can invest as little as a penny to as much as a bazillion dollars. Have fun.

Here's a true story. I have a friend that started playing with penny stocks, them moved up to nickle, dime, quarter etc. Eventually he got to playing with stocks between $10 to $20. Sadly though he made a few bad investments and pretty much lost it all, he managed to pull out while still 1 grand ahead, but after 8+ months of all that work 1 grand in 8 months is nothing to be happy about. The fever got him good, he said it was such a high, he thought he could beat the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.