Hide
6 Posts

Fatal Alliances: The Great War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help needed with rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Karle
msg tools
I've recently commenced my first game of Fatal Alliances III and have no previous experience playing World in Flames. My fellow players have considerable experience playing WiF but this is their first go at FA.

I've noticed anomalies in rule interpretation that are going against me as the CW player. But I'd like your assistance to check my assumptions before I put forward my claims on the following:

1) Choosing naval combat
I have been seeking a major surface action in the North Sea against the German Navy. I outnumber my opponent's SCS, neither of us has submarines or cps present, but he has placed two Zeppelins in the North Sea. He claims that unless I win three surprise points and choose surface combat, the default combat is naval air. My reading of the rules is to the contrary, and that unless naval air is chosen specifically using surprise points, surface combat is the default. I think my opponent is actually employing the WiF rules where WW2 aircraft did actually convey a greater advantage. Grateful for your views.

2) Use of Optional Rules
Do all players have to agree at the start of the game the use of the optional rules in the manual? We're four turns in and my opponent has just introduced optional rule 1 (limited overseas supply). This is now hurting me across the globe. But when I seek to enforce other optional rules to my advantage, I'm told that they aren't in play. What is the accepted etiquette in employing optional rules?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can't help the with first question, but with the second issue I would not play with someone who does that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
One your first question - looking at the FA3 rules, it seems pretty clear to me that going thru the priorities, the default is SURFACE combat (nobody spent 3 surprise, there isn't SUB+enemy CP). This isn't WIF; your opponent is wrong.

As for the optional rules thing, every game of WIF or anything ELSE I've ever played, we've decided on what optional rules will be used first thing - even before deciding who would play what power. I would insist on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Karle
msg tools
Many thanks for your assistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rader
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct. 3 surprise was default for WiF (air taking priority), but this is reversed for WW1/Fatal Alliances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too always agree on optional's before hand. Sounds like you are playing a win at all costs opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.