1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF 20 - The SS Walden vs the 'Verse! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The goal of this PBF game is to test the SS Walden with various mods against standard Firefly Ships and the Artful Dodger. Many players already use house rules to give the SS Walden a bit of a boost to be competitive and I want to see how some of these work out when using all of the current official expansions and gwek’s Aces and Eights Part 1 (I will moderate a PBF game to test out the full set of Aces and Eights and White Lightning additions, including the Ships, in the next PBF game I moderate).

You can check out the SS Walden discussion here: SS Walden Mod (House Rule Idea and Discussion)

I’m looking for 8 players for this game as I want to test 4 variations of the SS Walden against 3 Standard Firefly Ships and the Artful Dodger.

Sign up is open to anyone but this game lends itself more to players who are experienced with all of the official expansions and the SS Walden to make the most of testing the modded SS Waldens.

The 4 variations of the SS Walden are:

Modded SS Walden No 1
Retains its unique Drive Core but does not require Fuel to Full Burn (including with Heavy Load Jobs). Everything else is unaltered.

Modded SS Walden No 2
May replace its unique Drive Core by purchasing any other Drive Core(s) during the game. Replacing its Drive Core results in the loss of immunity to the Heavy Load penalty. Everything else is unaltered.

Modded SS Walden No 3
Immune to Breakdowns and may Mosey 2 Sectors. Everything else is unaltered.

Modded SS Walden No 4
Increased Max Crew to 8. Everything else is unaltered.

The Set Up
The Set Up will be the Standard Game Set Up modified as follows:

- Nav Decks – The “RESHUFFLE” cards start in their respective Nav Decks.
- Story Card – Pre-chosen as set out below.
- Starting Jobs – None.

The Story Card
The story card for this PBF game will be Where the Wind Takes Us slightly modified as follows:

Each Player chooses 3 Job Cards from one Contact Deck to determine Goal Token locations. No Contact Deck can be chosen twice and Mr Universe’s Deck cannot be chosen.

Also no Sector can have more than 1 Goal Token (this means the order of choosing Contact Decks will be important so I’ll apply a D100 roll to decide Player order for choosing Contact Decks after Ships, Leaders and starting locations have been chosen). This will result in 8 Contact Decks (excluding Mr Universe) each having 3 Jobs chosen to determine 24 Goal Token locations across the ‘Verse.

Winning the Game
Each time a player successfully completes a Job in a Sector with a Goal Token they may claim the Goal Token and these cannot be lost or stolen (for example via Piracy).

Completing the optional “Bonus Drop Off” part of those Kalidasa expansion Jobs that have “Bonus Drop Offs” does not count as completing the Job so a player cannot claim a Goal Token when completing a “Bonus Drop Off”.

Successfully completing a Piracy Job against another Player in a Sector with a Goal Token will allow the Pirating Player to claim the Sector’s Goal Token, making Piracy a valid strategy in this game that should not be overlooked, particularly by the SS Walden Players.

As soon as any Player claims their 3rd Goal Token that player wins the game.

Important Notes

• I would like Players to move Reaver and Alliance Ships so please provide regular Conditional Orders (CO’s) to at least give me a general idea of what you would like to do. If I’m not sure I’ll post in the Forum or GM you (though that may slow things down a bit).

However, without CO's by default Alliance Ships will be moved towards the nearest Outlaw Ship (with the Corvette preferring Outlaw Ships with Wanted Crew); if there is more than one option then towards the Player that is leading; if still a tie, a dice roll between tied ships. Reaver Ships will move towards the closest Player, with ties decided by dice rolls. Send me CO’s for Reaver and/or Alliance Ships any time you want. Your CO’s will apply until changed or the conditions given no longer apply.

• For breakdowns, I will spend Parts for you unless you have a 2-in-3 chance or better of passing the roll. If you would like your Ship to be treated differently, please send a CO (this is very important now with the additional Nav Cards).

• For Salvage Ops, I will always pass on them for you unless you are already on your destination (or can't Fly any further for any reason). I will not choose a Salvage Op if this would then make you an Outlaw Ship unless you have given me a CO to that effect. If you want to stop for Salvage Ops please let me know when you post your Fly Action. You can GM me your Fly Actions and/or Salvage Ops CO’s if you don’t want other players to know your intentions.

• Unless you advise otherwise Fly Actions will occur as follows. I will always use the shortest route to get to your destination. If you have the choice of using one Nav Deck over another to get to your destination in the same number of Sectors and your Fly Action orders don't specify your route I will use the Nav Deck with the most cards left in it. If you are an Outlaw Ship I will avoid Alliance Space as much as possible. I will also generally avoid moving your Ship through Alert Tokens if this looks like it would cause you problems.

• By default everything will be in your Stash, if you have one, as there are now some Nav Cards where you can lose Goods in your Hold. If you have more Goods and Passengers/Fugitives than Stash space you will need to let me know what’s in your Stash.

• By default Gear will be allocated to Crew in order of how each Crew/Gear was purchased, though Gear that gives specific bonuses to certain Crew will be allocated accordingly. You can rearrange your Gear by letting me know (this is really only important when Working a Job and during a Showdown where you can rearrange your Gear before rolling for the Test anyway).

• I’ll post Map updates as necessary and a full status update every time the 4th and 8th Players have had their Turns.

• If you wish to play any card that can be played at any time which allows you to impact other player's Turns when you are not the phasing player (e.g. Nav Charts) you will need to be very clear in CO's as to how and when you wish to do so, as otherwise you will miss your opportunity.

• Any clarifications of rules or actions will be resolved as needed (usually by posting a discussion for Players to set out their views). Where necessary, I’ll make final decisions.

I expect this game should take about 6 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
As always, I'll throw my hat into the ring. But feel free to take more experienced players to get some thorough testing done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm interested, but I get to play a lot, so feel free to let other folks have a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Dalager
Canada
Bowser
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would like to fly if there is room in your sky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never followed a PBF, let alone jumped into one. I'm certainly not ready to get in the fray yet, but am very interested in following this one. The Walden is my "I really want to love it" ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently parked the Serenity on Three Hills so I'll stand back and let others have a go in the 'Verse. However, I would love to play if there is room for me!

Edit: gorram spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm game! With the usual "if others want because I've been in a bunch, yada yada yada..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:

Modded SS Walden No 1
Retains its unique Drive Core but does not require Fuel to Full Burn (including with Heavy Load Jobs). Everything else is unaltered.

Modded SS Walden No 2
May replace its unique Drive Core by purchasing any other Drive Core(s) during the game. Replacing its Drive Core results in the loss of immunity to the Heavy Load penalty. Everything else is unaltered.

Modded SS Walden No 3

Modded SS Walden No 4

I'm available. It'll be interesting to see how these ships do.

Do we have alternate names for them?

1) SSN Walden (n being nuke-le-ar, nucke-le-ar ships don't refuel)
2) SS Waldenfly (can replace it's core like a Firefly)
3) SS Waldanium (titanium doesn't break)
4) SS Walden Princess (a passenger Liner. Pacific Princess, Southern Princess, etc) Yuch!
4) Walden's 8 : May Consider 1 additional Face Up Crime Job in any Deal.
(if rebooting with a Female captain, must hire all-female crew (except for one designated love interest)

Horrible names? Certainly! Do better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dale
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as many have said above: I'd love to play, but I've been able to play in several in the past, so I defer to new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the same old crew is signing up. Did you post this in the waiting room thread? There may be done folks subscribed there that don't have their settings adjusted to see this.

Also, like everyone else, I will jump in if you don't have enough without me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:

Modded SS Walden No 1

Modded SS Walden No 2

Modded SS Walden No 3

Modded SS Walden No 4

I'm available. It'll be interesting to see how these ships do.

Do we have alternate names for them?

1) SSN Walden (n being nuke-le-ar, nucke-le-ar ships don't refuel)
2) SS Waldenfly (can replace it's core like a Firefly)
3) SS Waldanium (titanium doesn't break)
4) SS Walden Princess (a passenger Liner. Pacific Princess, Southern Princess, etc) Yuch!
4) Walden's 8 : May Consider 1 additional Face Up Crime Job in any Deal.
(if rebooting with a Female captain, must hire all-female crew (except for one designated love interest)

Horrible names? Certainly! Do better!
I do have names for the Ships as the above is only a description of the mods. You'll have to wait and see what they are (they aren't breathtaking names though!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:
It looks like the same old crew is signing up. Did you post this in the waiting room thread? There may be done folks subscribed there that don't have their settings adjusted to see this.

Also, like everyone else, I will jump in if you don't have enough without me.
Yes I did post this in the Waiting Room thread. I'll leave sign up open for the next 3 or 4 days and see how many players sign up before making any decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duffy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I really enjoyed the last game Dalek1 ran even though I came last - my first pbf game of any king. Off on holiday for a couple of weeks though so I'll pass this time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in if there's room! Sounds like it will be a fun test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Helms
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played in the last one Ralph ran, and I would happily do so again if there is room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided on the players for this game from those who signed up, but I’ve also decided because I didn't choose players by random rolls that hist and turambur, who missed out, will have spots in the next PBF where I will be testing the full version of gwek’s Aces & Eights (and gwek will also have a spot as he brought us Aces & Eights). I had planned on making that game an 8 player game, but I think I can plan it as a 10 player game without (hopefully) breaking the game mechanics!

Here is the Player order from a D100 roll:

1. phideaux1 (93, 86)
2. skyguy001 (93, 57)hist
3. Krushhhhh (92)
4. irelad (90)
5. matt h (51)
6. gwek (30)
7. ilPapa (20)
8. GerryRailBaron (17)

Starting with Player 1 please choose a Ship and a Leader. After everyone has a Ship and a Leader please pick a starting location in reverse order starting with Player 8.

SHIPS

I will use the Interceptor, Jetwash and Esmeralda to represent 3 of the 4 SS Waldens. All 4 of the standard Firefly Ships are available to choose 3 from to use in the game. The 8 Ships available to choose are therefore:

1. SS Walden (No fuel required to Full Burn)
2. SS Interceptor (May replace Drive Core with any other Drive Core. Replacing Drive Core results in loss of immunity to Heavy Load penalty)
3. SS Jetwash (Crew 8)
4. SS Esmeralda (Immune to Breakdowns. May Mosey 2 Sectors)
5. Artful Dodger
6. Standard Firefly 1 (choice from Bonanza, Bonnie Mae, Serenity or Yun Qi)
7. Standard Firefly 2 (choice from the 3 remaining Ships)
8. Standard Firefly 3 (choice from the 2 remaining Ships)

SS Walden (cargo 15, crew 6, upgrades 3, Special: Piracy Jobs count as Salvage Ops)
Tri-Capissen 28HD (Range 4. No Fuel required to initiate Full Burn. Drive Core may not be replaced. Immune to Heavy Load penalty)

SS Interceptor ((cargo 15, crew 6, upgrades 3, Special: Piracy Jobs count as Salvage Ops)
Tri-Capissen 28HD (Range 4. 1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn. Immune to Heavy Load penalty. May replace Drive Core with any other Drive Core. Replacing Drive Core results in loss of immunity to Heavy Load penalty.)

SS Jetwash (cargo 15, crew 8, upgrades 3, Special: Piracy Jobs count as Salvage Ops)
Tri-Capissen 28HD (Range 4. 1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn. Drive Core may not be replaced. Immune to Heavy Load penalty)

SS Esmeralda (cargo 15, crew 6, upgrades 3, Special: Piracy Jobs count as Salvage Ops)
Tri-Capissen 28HD (Range 4. 1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn. Drive Core may not be replaced. Immune to Heavy Load penalty. Immune to Breakdowns. May Mosey 2 Sectors.)

Artful Dodger (cargo 6, stash 4, crew 7, upgrades 3)
Modified Radion Accelerator Mark II (Range 6. 1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn)

Bonanza (cargo 8, stash 4, crew 6, upgrades 3)
Radion Accelerator Mark I (Range 5. 1 Fuel to initiate Full Burn)

Bonnie Mae (cargo 8, stash 4, crew 6, upgrades 3)

Serenity (cargo 8, stash 4, crew 6, upgrades 3)

Yun Qi (cargo 8, stash 4, crew 6, upgrades 3)

LEADERS

Atherton (
, Fake ID, Fancy Duds, Black Mark: May not hire Crew with the Companion Profession.)

Burgess (
, Fancy Duds, Taker: When you complete a Shipping Job, Load 1 Cargo.)

China (
, Wanted, Pilot, Grifter, Renegade: May Hire Wanted Crew at no cost. When you complete an Illegal Job, take $200.) (Note: if China is chosen the Person of Interest rules will apply.)

Corbin (
, Mechanic, Chop Shop: You may Buy Drive Cores and Ship Upgrades at half price.)

Doc Steele (
, Moral, Medic, Solider, Paragon: May Hire Moral Crew at no cost. When you complete a Legal Job, take $200.)

Jubal Early (
, Pilot, Bounty Hunter: +2 Fight when Attacking in SHOWDOWN. May Carry 2 Gear.)

Leland (
, Grifter, Aces High: When you Proceed with an “Ace” while Misbehaving, take $300, ACE: A Bit of Local Color, A Formal Affair.)

Malcolm (
, Moral, Pilot, Soldier, Brown Coat: When you complete a Crime Job, take $500. * Big Damn Heroes: When you Proceed while Misbehaving, take $100.)

Marco (
, Transport, Gun Runner: You may Buy Gear with the "Explosives" or "Firearm" Keywords at half price.)

Monty (
, Moral, Mechanic, Soldier, Smuggler Extraordinaire: When you complete a Smuggling Job, take $500.)

Murphy (
, Moral, Mechanic, Medic, Trade Baron: Whenever you sell Cargo or Contraband to a Contact, take an extra $100 each.)

Nandi (
, Moral, Companion, Heart of Gold: May Hire Crew at no cost.)

Sash (
, Hacking Rig, Pirate: When you complete a Piracy Job, steal $500 from the targeted Rival.)

Womack (
, Soldier, Cold and Heartless: When you complete an Immoral Job take $500.)

Wright (
, Grifter, Dirty Slaver: Whenever you deliver Fugitives, you may take an Extra $100 per Fugitive. This counts as Immoral.)

Zoe (
, Moral, Soldier, Loyalty: Soldiers in your Crew do not become Disgruntled if they are not paid their Cut of successful Jobs. May Carry 2 Gear.) (If Zoe is chosen her Crew Card will be removed from the Silverhold Supply Deck.)

GOAL TOKEN LOCATIONS

Pending.

EDIT: It probably is helpful to include the map of the 'Verse!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck everyone, and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Dalek1 wrote:
I had planned on making that game an 8 player game, but I think I can plan it as a 10 player game without (hopefully) breaking the game mechanics!

I think Ralph is some kind of Superhuman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to that 10 player game. Or maybe I'm not. That's gonna be nuts!

Maybe I need to get to work on the CanTankerous and Huntingdon's Bolt... and the Betty... and Lucy and the Raza. 15 player game, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I'm looking forward to that 10 player game. Or maybe I'm not. That's gonna be nuts!

Maybe I need to get to work on the CanTankerous and Huntingdon's Bolt... and the Betty... and Lucy and the Raza. 15 player game, anyone?
I'm already challenged enough with a 10 player game. A 15 player game will break me before the game mechanics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I'm excited! I haven't gotten to play this in a couple of months.

I'll go with:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
EDIT: It probably is helpful to include the map of the 'Verse!

A reminder that there Three Hills, Georgia has a border with a second Rim Sector as shown below:

Oh! You've got it in there. Tight squeeze. Can we create a "Crazy Gerry" manuever that scrapes off pursuers on the edges of that "canyon" joining the two sectors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
phideaux1 wrote:
Man, I'm excited! I haven't gotten to play this in a couple of months.

I'll go with:

Sad Day. I was hoping to buy the SS Esmeralden, but I guess I will have to wait my turn. Perhaps I will just have to choose Sash and the SS Jetwalden or maybe China and her Artfulling Dodging ways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what's happened to skyguy001. I have sent him a GM but he hasn't logged for a couple of days. If he doesn't check in today then I'll have to fill his spot with hist or turambur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Dalager
Canada
Bowser
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll take Leland and Jetwash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [22] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.