Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is a Ship Upgrade titled "Reinforced Hull" that gives you an extra Serenity Slot.

How exactly does that work?
Can that added Serenity Slot also hold another Upgrade (like the regular slots do)?
And does it mean that you can potentially endure another ship strike?
(normally, if you sustain a Ship Strike into a slot that contains an Upgrade, then that Upgrade is discarded. But "Reinforced Hull" creates its own slot. So if you were to sustain a 5th ship strike with this upgrade in place, does that forced a discard of "Reinforced Hull"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

It is an extra slot. Treat it as such.

And your scenario does not matter. You are dead either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
And your scenario does not matter. You are dead either way.

How so?

The rulebook states:
Quote:
If all slots of Serenity have Strikes and you draw another Ship Strike, then Serenity explodes and the players lose the game.

But if the "Reinforced Hull" upgrade counts as an additional slot, then it would take 5 ship strikes to fill up all slots (instead of the usual 4), and it wouldn't be until the 6th strike that Serenity explodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, given that you can put a Strike onto Reinforced Hull, this means you also put the next Upgrade you purchase onto Reinforced Hull too, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McPherson
United States
Ft. Wainwright
ALASKA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing it like so:

When I purchase Reinforced Hull, it becomes a 5th ship slot as well as the highest slot.

The next upgrade I purchase will go unto Reinforced Hull.

If I have 4 ship strikes and draw a 5th one, the new strike goes onto Reinforced Hull and any upgrade I have there goes away and is replaced by the strike.

If I draw a 6th strike before I repair any strikes then I am kablooie.

Essentially, Reinforced Hull acts like a 5th "printed" slot on the mat and does not go away unless I choose to discard it (not sure why I would do this) or unless I am destroyed.

Hope this helps you make up your mind on how you want to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nellatrebor wrote:

When I purchase Reinforced Hull, it becomes a 5th ship slot as well as the highest slot.

If I have 4 ship strikes and draw a 5th one, the new strike goes onto Reinforced Hull and any upgrade I have there goes away and is replaced by the strike.

Essentially, Reinforced Hull acts like a 5th "printed" slot on the mat and does not go away unless I choose to discard it (not sure why I would do this) or unless I am destroyed.

That's how I played it. Of course, I'm guessing the only time there is really much chance of these scenarios playing out would be in a campaign (or I suppose a 5-player game where the players were able to successfully complete all the sidejobs).

I'm guessing that if a ship strike is placed into the slot created by Reinforced Hull, then that strike cannot be repaired Between episodes (since there is no credit-cost like there is printed next to the 4 regular serenity slots)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an interesting point. It could be considered to have no Cost and hence cannot be cleared between episodes, or alternatively considered to have 0 Cost and hence can be cleared for free. It would be nice to know which interpretation is intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Mandel
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Nellatrebor wrote:

That's how I played it. Of course, I'm guessing the only time there is really much chance of these scenarios playing out would be in a campaign (or I suppose a 5-player game where the players were able to successfully complete all the sidejobs).

I'm guessing that if a ship strike is placed into the slot created by Reinforced Hull, then that strike cannot be repaired Between episodes (since there is no credit-cost like there is printed next to the 4 regular serenity slots)

Hi everyone,

This is how Reinforced should be played. And it can't be upgraded between episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.