Rook» Forums » Rules

Subject: What if nobody bids and everyone passes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been brought to my attention that the Kentucky Discard (Tournament Rules) seem to make no provision for a situation where nobody bids. What should happen in such a situation, or is the first or last bidder required to make a bid of 70? With the Rook in play, a hand is worth 120 points so perhaps it is unlikely that nobody will bid. The last player is likely to jump at the possibility of a 70 point bid if everyone else has passed, since the entire hand is worth 120, and getting the nest and choosing trump means that the odds are quite good for his partnership to get the bid.

But the possibility of everyone passing is much more likely when playing Tournament Rules without the Rook (also called Kentucky Discard Original Rules). Is the minimum bid still 70, and if so, what happens if everyone passes? In this verson of the game, a hand only has 100 points. So it is quite possible that all players get a miserable draw, and think that 70 points is out of reach with the hand that they have, and thus pass. I noticed that in 200 (also called Deux Cents, and virtually identical to Kentucky Discard Original Rules except that no nest is used), the minimum bid is 50. Perhaps when playing Kentucky Discard (Original Rules) the minimum bid should also be lowered to 50, to virtually guarantee that at least someone will bid? But the rules seem to make no mention of this, and appear to assume that the minimum bid is still 70 even when playing without the 20 point Rook card.

So in short my questions are:
1. what are the rules for a situation where nobody bids and everyone passes?
2. in Kentucky Discard without the Rook, should the minimum bid be dropped to 50 (instead of 70), and a score of 200 (instead of 300) be sufficient for a win? Such an adjustment would be in line with the fact that each hand has 20 less points, and would parallel the figures used in 200 (Deux Cents).

Edit: I just noticed that the rules for the Buckeye variant state: "Should all players pass without bidding, the dealer automatically gets the bid for 100" (100 being the minimum bid). I would suggest it makes sense to apply the same to Tournament Rook - when playing with the Rook, the dealer automatically gets the bid for 70 (being the minimum bid); when playing without the Rook, the dealer automatically gets the bid for 50. Sounds reasonable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Rivera
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
This was theoretically discussed among the members of my extended family (we play a lot of Rook when we get together) and we decided that, should no one bid, the hand would merely be played with no trump (except the Rook, which is always trump) and no bid, and the dealer would play first. Partnerships merely take whatever points they take (the nest points are taken with the last trick as usual). Such a situation, has, thus far, never happened among us, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hicks
United States
California
flag msg tools
A common way to deal with this in Skat is to instead play a round of leasters. Play no trump (except maybe the rook) and you lose the number of points you take. This might be unbalanced for whomever has the rook (particularly with the partner-calling 5-player variants since that player might often hope to be called as partner and thus pass), so maybe only the person/partnership that takes the most points loses that many. Another alternative would be to make the rook its own non-trump suit, so that it could just be dumped at the first chance.

I prefer this sort of rule over playing for most points because it penalizes the person who should have bid but didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Edit: I just noticed that the rules for the Buckeye variant state: "Should all players pass without bidding, the dealer automatically gets the bid for 100" (100 being the minimum bid). I would suggest it makes sense to apply the same to Tournament Rook - when playing with the Rook, the dealer automatically gets the bid for 70 (being the minimum bid); when playing without the Rook, the dealer automatically gets the bid for 50. Sounds reasonable?
That is pretty much the same rules for Pinochle except if no one bids; the player to the left of the dealer gets the minimum bid.

I agree that your rule sounds reasonable.

P.S. I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
badge
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation passed in our last game. We played without trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.