Subject: Poison, Blob and "Attack Action" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dolan
United States
Rockford
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Both of these cards state that their abilities are triggered by an "Attack Action". Goblins may choose to perform an "Attack" when the Knight hits an Ambush... Would Blob and Poison apply in this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Previously-placed Monsters can be applied to ambushes, so you could use the Blob.

Secrets cards can only be played from your hand during your own turn, so you cannot use Poison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
this issue came up at our table yesterday with some additional questions. an ambush occurs and a hidden tribe of goblins attacks, to which the knight responds by using her last cube to match the goblin strength. at even strength the knight did not defeat the goblins and the goblins did not wound the knight. goblins do not lose/gain rage and do not scatter. 1.) do the goblins remain revealed on that tile? 2.) does Blob still effect the knight because an attack was initiated (even though it was not successful)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The decision to ambush is made after the Knight places her strength. If the Goblins don't attack or have enough strength to attack nothing happens.

The goblins don't move to the board during the ambush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, really? i don't have the rules in front of me but the Knight always chooses when/whether to place cubes and the text said goblins may choose to attack during an ambush. it seems like it's up to the goblins to commit first since the Knight is flexible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a little bit of a bluffing game at work.

The Knight does have to commit to defending herself against the possible attack. With enough strength she can prevent it entirely, but if she can't or doesn't place enough cubes to at least match the strongest tribe, then the Goblins get to decide if they want to actually attack or not.

Usually it's in their best interests to do so, but occasionally they might want to hold off. Perhaps their only strong tribe had a valuable monster they didn't want to lose, or perhaps the Eye tribe was their only strong one but they were planning to use Cave-in on their next turn, which would have reduced power if the tribe scattered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okay, i think i might write in an Ambush Turn Order section on my goblin sheet. last one: i assume (again, without the rules in front of me (sorry!)) that goblins are unable chose to commit a non-winning force to the ambush in order to trigger Blob, thin out population, etc.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
okay, i think i might write in an Ambush Turn Order section on my goblin sheet. last one: i assume (again, without the rules in front of me (sorry!)) that goblins are unable chose to commit a non-winning force to the ambush in order to trigger Blob, thin out population, etc.
Correct. Goblins can't attack at all if they aren't strong enough to win, whether it's via an ambush or a standard move+attack action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.