Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this 2 times at 3 players each, and both times the player who has just fully concentrated on building buildings and only whaled near the end or in the case tonight, I couldn't pay for a couple whales but the building person could which ended up giving him enough points to win..

Is this a common thing in a 3 player game or is this a fluke? Does this happen a lot in 4 players?

Fun game though I enjoy it.. even if it isn't set on the moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen players win with a pure/mostly building strategy yet. Even if they manage to get the Bethel, the Mansion, and the one that gives an end of game point per 2 buildings.

It looks like there's about 24 points or so to be had with this strategy, which is high, but my group has been pulling 29+ points reliably with either the right whale/tryworks/countinghouse strategy or the lighthouse/cooperage strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting with buildings and then whaling later is definitely a strong strategy. Especially if the two other players are mostly focusing on the whaling. It should be easy to slow the player down by competing for a few of the bonus buildings. And it's very difficult to win without at least one of them, so you can't completely ignore that side of it.

Ed's got great strategy advice, and he's got more experience with the game than most people. So he probably sees the game from an even better perspective than I can. Try his suggestions and see how they work out for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a Good Strategy i look at it like this everyone did not go to sea and whale but they all made money and a home for them self.

Some may have only bought Oil and sold oil.
Others may have owned parts of the city and had a fleet of ships whaling.
Others may have only had a Ship.
and others may have only had land/city.

But everyone still got something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elizabeth Nugent

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games have been three-player, and most have had one player try the building strategy. That player has won once and lost by less than (or equal to) 3 points the other 3-4 times, I think. It's a strong strategy, but not unbeatable by any means. I think the randomness of the whales balances it. You can affect the randomness somewhat by affecting the order of the ships, but you are still somewhat at the mercy of what gets pulled out of the bag.

But I don't have nearly as much experience as Ed, so you should take my comments with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.