Hide
4 Posts

Mysterium» Forums » Variants

Subject: Clairvoyance Alternative Rules (No gaming the system) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyran Lune
msg tools
When playing we noticed that psychics tend to make purposefully wrong choices with their insight token, just to give other psychics the opportunity to gain extra points. This becomes especially true in games where psychics move very quickly to weapons via good choices on early rounds, leaving the psychics with very low scores on the clairvoyance track.

Today we decided to play test some ways to handle this and this is what we came up with to fix that behavior.

1. Always use the 6-7 player clairvoyance track.
2. Start the psychics at space 5 on the clairvoyance track. (Change this to make minor adjustments to the difficulty, in addition to other difficulty changes already in the rules.)
3. If a psychic chooses incorrectly with their intuition token they move down 2 points on the clairvoyance track.
4. Placing a clairvoyance token with the number side showing means it counts as the opposite of the marker on the token. (I.e. A check mark placed with number side up counts as an X.)

Penalizing the players for poor intuition will incentivize them to never make a wrong choice on purpose. But we need to make up for that penalty, so we start players further up the track initially and we allow them more flexibility with their clairvoyance.

In testing someone who makes really good intuition and clairvoyance choices can really run away in points, which is why we use the larger track, making it so being really good is actually needed to get to 3 cards. Most players will generally hover around 2 cards if their decisions are correct on average. Plus, having the greater flexibility makes it so no matter how many players you play with, you have the same opportunity to score with every clairvoyance token, which is why using the 6-7 track is completely balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Clairvoyance Alternative Rules (No Gaming the System)
Interesting. I think so like that.

I also like the other variant I saw where you as the ghost don't pick who the murderer was. After some finished all 3 of there clues you randomly pick you the murderer was be drawing one of the psychics numbers from a pile of their question mark tokens.
At that point you can start saving cards to help you to help the psychics pick the right murderer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually have a lot of Missed guesses so that it takes people until 5 or 6 on the clock most of the time to finish. My group is looking at getting -4 point on average with this system. Hmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyran Lune
msg tools
Our group averages about the same, that's why we also have the more flexible guessing with the clairvoyance tokens. If you're good with those then you can more than make up for the penalties with the possible +12 from those.

You only need to average +2 total with this set up to make it to 2 cards and +5 total to make it to 3 cards.

It will be impossible to go from 4 wrong intuition placements to 3 cards, but doesn't that make sense? But even then placing your clairvoyance tokens right enough you can still get enough to get to 2 cards. So only truly poor playing should result in getting only 1 card while playing fairly well will get you to 3. Playing at average should land you at 2 cards, which I feel makes sense.

I just feel like the game under the standard rules was punishing us when we played too well.

Edit: If you try this rule and feel it was too difficult with your group though, you can always increase the starting point on the track to make up for 1 or even 2 more bad intuition placements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.