Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
In my junior year English Lit class, I was assigned to read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I had also just managed to get a copy of Final Fantasy 7 for Playstation, so obviously I didn't get around to reading it. I did, however, get the Cliffs Notes, and pulled out a solid B+ on the essay. I'm quite certain Nexus Ops would be the only game on Ms. Rand's game shelf.

In Nexus Ops, you take command of one of four companies who were clearly last in line on "Evil Corporation Name Day" - Ares Inc, Black Helix Industries, The Galactic Syndicate, and Zyborg Technologies (the corporate motto for said companies is left to the imagination - I assume each are vying for the trademark on "Never leave a baby unpunched"). Free from even the most basic forms of government oversight, worker's safety regulations, and common sense, you blast off to fight for control of a fancy, sparkly rock called Rubium. To do so, you will strip mine natural landscapes, enslave the peaceful inhabitants to swell your ranks, and roll dice. Lots of dice.

This is Amerigaming at it's absolute zenith.

The game works like this: Troops are deployed in a map made of hex tiles, each depicting some form of nature. On those hexes "Exploration Tiles" will be placed which can represent mines (where you get money), wildlife (which you turn into killing machines, clearly enraging the Intergalactic SPCA), money/cards, or sometimes combinations of the aforementioned stuff. Deploy your troops, head out to explore, mine for resources which are collected at the end of the turn. This continues until through the natural progress of conquest you run into an opponent, and a battle breaks out.

Battles play out simply, but intuitively Each unit has a target number, which they must roll at or above to score a hit. An included battle board shows the units and their target numbers, and generally each involved player starts on the right and every unit of that type attacks simultaneously. Hits kill a unit, and the player suffering the damage chooses which piece to send to a extraterrestrial grave. Certain cards and creatures have abilities that can alter this flow, but this is the general way battles play out.

Victory is achieved not through destroying your enemy, as killed pieces are sent back to the player's supply, and can be redeployed later. Winning a battle nets a "Battle Victory" card, worth a victory point. Other cards can be cashed in when certain criteria are met, such as winning battles in a certain way, or controlling various parts of the board. The first player to 12 points wins.

With a theme and setting that is as violent as it is idiotic, mountains of little plastic pieces, dice rolls by the dozens, and angry space marines riding plasma breathing dragons, this game isn't going to appeal to everyone. Even with the theme and presentation, it sits in an odd place for light wargames - game length is only about an hour, and with victory being decided by points rather than elimination, hard American concepts are interrupted by a jarring European end game mechanic. The game CAN be won if all other players are cleared from the board and have their deployment zones held by an enemy, but this is very rare. All that being said, I cannot recommend this game enough.

Even though this will not be a universally adored game, it deserves a purchase, for three main reasons:

1. It's a light wargame that can be played by many types of people. Clearly this is not trying to compete with something like Axis and Allies. Much shorter and much simpler, the basic but workable mechanics mean it's accessibly to new players but offers enough strategy for advanced gamers.

2. It doesn't take itself too seriously. Space marines, fungus monsters, giant spiders, and dogs that play in lava. Playing it straight is a good time, but with the right group of people, hilarity will ensue.

3. It needs nothing further. No expansions have been released for this, and more than likely, none ever will. This is good. It doesn't need them. Yes, it is very light, but it is complete, and never feels like it's missing anything.

Nexus Ops is a solid light wargame, with just enough levity to mitigate the harsher aspects of wargames as a whole. Everything about the game, from the goofball non-story to the simple and efficient battle system works together to create a game that will see a lot of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoguesRefuge wrote:
In my junior year English Lit class, I was assigned to read "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. I had also just managed to get a copy of Final Fantasy 7 for Playstation, so obviously I didn't get around to reading it. I did, however, get the Cliffs Notes, and pulled out a solid B+ on the essay. I'm quite certain Nexus Ops would be the only game on Ms. Rand's game shelf.

Sorry dude, but you lost me with that first paragraph. I may not be an acolyte of Ayn Rand, but I'm definitely an an acolyte of (and advocate for) reading. I see Cliffs Notes as emblematic of societal problems, a tool for those who are content to give the impression they know something, however superficial their actual knowledge may be.

Nexus Ops is a fine game; if you reached that conclusion in the rest of your review then we have that much in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think CliffsNotes are an excellent way to learn everything you need to know about Atlas Shrugged. Good choice! You can use the time you saved to do something more worthwhile, like bowling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I think CliffsNotes are an excellent way to learn everything you need to know about Atlas Shrugged. Good choice! You can use the time you saved to do something more worthwhile, like bowling.

I'd agree if it were casual reading, but not when a person is taking an English Lit class and supposedly studying the book. (That said, it's good to know I'm still high on your radar, David.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you, David. You make the internet a better place, by your understanding of humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoguesRefuge wrote:
Thank you, David. You make the internet a better place, by your understanding of humor.

Preserved for the ages. When it comes to humor, David has few peers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Yay, I'm preserved. I feel like I just got a Tupperware hug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

Or playing Nexus Ops. Apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Goodsell
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Nexus Ops is a fine game; if you reached that conclusion in the rest of your review then we have that much in common.

He did. The review was much too long to read, but I checked the Cliffs Notes. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I feel like I've severely dated myself by referencing Cliffs Notes. Do they even make them anymore?

On a brighter note, my high school self would be proud his decision to forego indulging in a paperback cure for insomnia so he could save the Lifestream from the evil Sephiroth is cause for so much spirited discourse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
Sphere wrote:
I'm definitely an an acolyte of (and advocate for) reading.

Reading -- the pretentious version of watching TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, did a libertarian punch you in the nose and steal your lunch money or something?

I'm just wondering what makes it OK to inject completely irrelevant political discussion into a game review. It just came out of left field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
It's my review.

I do what I want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoguesRefuge wrote:
It's my review.

I do what I want!

I'm sorry you feel the need to be a gigantic ass in public. I clicked the red X to report this obviously political thread, but as it's still here I don't know what's happened.

Community Rules

The Short List
Use common courtesy
Respect others (even when they don't deserve it)

The Long List

Following the spirit of these rules is at least as important as following the rules themselves.
The following are prohibited:
Disruptive content, including but not limited to:
Trolling
Raising issues of religion, sex, or politics outside of the designated Religion, Sex, and Politics forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea jumbit, I just clicked the red x to report your post for a personal attack on OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the title expecting worse, but it was a very good review. Do not see any problems here, thanks for the review and Nexus Ops is one of my favourites.

One of my workmates has said if a book is any good they will make a movie of it and he can watch it then. I nearly always prefer the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'd only taken more English Lit classes myself, I might be able to expound upon the irony contained in this post:

jumbit wrote:
RoguesRefuge wrote:
It's my review.

I do what I want!

I'm sorry you feel the need to be a gigantic ass in public. I clicked the red X to report this obviously political thread, but as it's still here I don't know what's happened.

Community Rules

The Short List
Use common courtesy
Respect others
(even when they don't deserve it)

The Long List

Following the spirit of these rules is at least as important as following the rules themselves.
The following are prohibited:
Disruptive content, including but not limited to:
Trolling
Raising issues of religion, sex, or politics outside of the designated Religion, Sex, and Politics forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Rook96 wrote:
I read the title expecting worse, but it was a very good review. Do not see any problems here, thanks for the review and Nexus Ops is one of my favourites.

You're welcome, and thank you for the comment.

I don't understand the hubbub here. I simply took a concept (libertarianism) and followed it to a clearly illogical extreme for humor. I insulted no one, nor made a claim about the ideology. I don't see how, under any circumstances, that could be construed as offensive or antagonistic.

Completely not offensive review:

Nexus Ops is a great game. Play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Grant - You are amazing!

That violates the rules. Definitely a personal attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marowske
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoguesRefuge wrote:

Cliff Notes version of your review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef S
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
esquire468 wrote:
RoguesRefuge wrote:

Cliff Notes version of your review.

You are amazing. It's the 99% off BGGers like you that make this the best site on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I personally loathe, and it's the reason I read few novels, is writing that is excessively verbose and seemingly never gets to the point.

The OP was not. I thought it was a pretty well written review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
One thing I personally loathe, and it's the reason I read few novels, is writing that is excessively verbose and seemingly never gets to the point.

I had a funny one, it was The Three Musketeers. When I read the first chapter I had no idea what had actually happened in the story. The writing was so unusual and the words used were unfamiliar. I was not sure whether to keep reading.

On my second try it stuck and I loved it. There are books out there with unusual writing, but my experience with a The Three Musketeers made me persevere with every book. It is now one of my favourite novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
No good will come of this, mark my words!
badge
mbmb
marhawkman wrote:

Because all books have a single point that they are meant/trying to be getting to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.