Subject: Scoring Wild Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alain Talma
France
flag msg tools
Excuse my bad English !
The rules said:
- P. 8: Wild cards always count as the most common suit, but a player only scores 1 point for each Wild card used.
- P. 7: Wild cards will always count as if they were from your most common suit, even if Wilds ARE the most common suit.

1. Chain/Gear/Key/Wild/Wild: 4 pts (One card of any suit = 2 pts + 2 pts for Wilds) or only 2 pts for Wilds?

2. Chain/Gear/Key/Key/Wild/Wild: 6 pts or 2 pts?

3. Wild/Wild/Wild/Wild: 0 pt (There is not « common » suit) or 4 pts?

4. Wild/Wild/Wild/Wild/Wild/Wild/Wild: 0 pt or 7 pts (+ 1 or 2 bonus points for completed Airship)?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if I understand the game correctly;
1 (4 points);
2 (6 points);
3 (0 points);
4 (0 points);
any of these numbers is adjusted by +2 if you complete your Zeppelin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Talma
France
flag msg tools
Thanks Richard.
It is unfortunate that in the scoring rules there is no Airship example with Wild cards as the most common suit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
From what I understand, Wildcards are only worth a single point, whether they are being used as part of a different suit, or as the majority suit.

My thoughts on the examples above are:

1. 2 points. The wildcard is the most common suit as there are 2 of them with only one of the others (so the other suits don't count as they are not the majority) but as you only get 1 point per wildcard, you only score 2 points in total.

2. 2 points. As there an equal number of wildcards and the key suit and the rules state that wildcards always count as the majority. As the rules state (p.8) "If a player has the same number of cards in more than one suit, only 1 suit is scored." As wildcards are counted as your most common suit, they count towards the points and not the keys

3. 4 points. As with example 1. the wildcards are the most common suit but as they are only worth one point, this only scores 4.

4. 7 points. Same as the examples above, the wildcards are the most common suit but only score a single point for each one.

The +2/+1 bonuses for airship completion still count and can be added to your score.

If you are trying to build the "Muddle" airship and have for example 6 different suit cards and 1 wildcard, this only scores 1 point. There are no common suits in this example, but as wildcards always count as the common suit and there is one wildcard, then it's worth one point. Completion bonus still applies.

There is a picture of an airship that has been made entirely from wildcards on the fireside games website, so from that I decided that an airship made entirely from wildcards, or with a majority of wildcards is allowed, but unlike other suits, they are only worth one point each.

Here's the link with the picture - just click on the image of the completed airships to see the one comprised of wildcards.
http://firesidegames.com/product/dastardly-dirigibles/

Basically, wildcards are only ever worth 1 point, regardless of how many there are.
If the number of wildcards ties or exceeds that of the most common suit used the wildcards count as the most common suit and are scored instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marksimus74 wrote:
If you are trying to build the "Muddle" airship and have for example 6 different suit cards and 1 wildcard, this only scores 1 point. There are no common suits in this example, but as wildcards always count as the common suit and there is one wildcard, then it's worth one point. Completion bonus still applies..

i'm afraid sir that this is in error.
Page 8 of the rules specifically says "A Muddle is a completed Airship that is made of one of each suit, with no pair of any kind, and does NOT contain any Wild cards."

Additionally, your example about "common suit's" is also in error.
also on Page 8 Scoring:
"If a player has the same number of cards in more than 1 suit, only 1 suit is scored."
thus, in your example, you would get 2 points for one of the suits, +1 point for the Wild.

Marksimus74 wrote:
There is a picture of an airship that has been made entirely from wildcards on the fireside games website, so from that I decided that an airship made entirely from wildcards, or with a majority of wildcards is allowed, but unlike other suits, they are only worth one point each...
I believe that the picture in question (below) is just an example of some of the various Airship designs. when I was able to play in the demo at GenCon this year, the gentleman doing the demo said that, by themselves, Wild cards are worth Zero (0). they need a suit to build off of to be worth that one (+1) point each. at the Con, my wife was building a ship out of only Wild and she scored zero (0) because her Airship had no other suit.

Marksimus74 wrote:
Basically, wildcards are only ever worth 1 point, regardless of how many there are.
If the number of wildcards ties or exceeds that of the most common suit used the wildcards count as the most common suit and are scored instead.

The top of Page 7 (small paragraph beside the Airship picture) says:
"Wild cards will always count as if they were from your most common suit, even if Wilds ARE the most common suit."

Page 8 under Scoring indicates that
"...find the suit that was used the most to build the Airship. Score 2 points for each card of that suit.

Wild cards always count as the most common suit, but a player only scores 1 "

Thus, you take whatever the strongest (non-Wild) suit and score it 2 points per card, then you add in any Wild cards to that suit at 1 point each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Wadzinski
msg tools
mbmb
I contacted Fireside Games and asked about wild cards. They do not need to be 'linked' or 'chained' to a non-wild card in order to score points. Therefore, a complete airship made of wild cards only is worth 7 points (1 for each of 7 cards) + 1 (bonus for completing an airship) + possibly 1 (if you are the first to complete your ship).

Here's the actual Q&A between me and the customer service rep:

Q: For scoring, what if I have only wild cards? Do I get 1 pt for each wild, or do I get 0 because I have no non-wild cards? Thanks.

A: Each Wild Card in the completed airship counts as 1 point. —— 7 pts

You get another point for completing the airship. —— 1 pt

If you are the first person to complete their airship, then you get another point. ——— 1 pt

Potentially, you could get as many as 9 points for your airship completed with nothing but Wild Cards! (I hope that feels a lot better than than zero points that you feared…unless, of course, someone else had the all-wild-card airship, in which case, they just earned a bunch of points.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard spangle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well then it would appear that I stand corrected, and that my wife was misinformed at GenCon. I would thank you for the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.