BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades » Game Valuations

Subject: The Mystic Wood 1st Edition and Extension Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Burton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have a hardly used copy of The Mystic Wood, all items are complete and in excellent condition. The box is slightly crushed and has had sellotape put round the corners at some point in the dim and distant past (prior to my ownership). Everything inside is perfect and original, including the rule book.

Additionally, I have the full extension pack, minus it's original box. Again virtually unused and in excellent condition, including the extension pack additional rule book.

The one question I have regarding price is that the box seems slightly unusual. It's an original first edition I think but I can't find any images online that match exactly. Specifically, the Damsel, Dragon and Knight picture match perfectly but the logo in the bottom left does not. It's a Black square with a white border in the centre of which is an inverted white triangle with HPG written inside the triangle. The nearest exact image match I can find online has a motif with "Fanaat" written where my logo is. Does any of that matter and, as I don't play it (being more of a Sorcerers Cave guy) where is the best place to get it into the hands of those who will cherish it in the future?

I attach pictures of the three versions of the first edition box to show what I mean - bit of a collector's issue rather than a player's issue I suspect but I thought I may as well ask prior to selling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mystic Wood has been published in the United Kingdom by Ariel, Fantasy Games Unlimited and Gibsons Games. Only Gibsons Games have ever published the Mystic Wood Extension Kit.

An American version of the game was published by the Avalon Hill Game Company. Since this version has perforated cards it is incompatible with the Mystic Wood Extension Kit (unlike all 3 British releases). It also has a slightly amended rule book which concerns the obligation knights fall under when encountering the Child or Damsel.

Of all the sets available those published by Ariel and Fantasy Games Unlimited are preferable since they use a superior card stock, though all British releases are compatible with the Mystic Wood Extension Kit. Also, printing standards and colour reproduction does tend to vary even between the same publishers. Box art has varied but the component art has always remained as the original.

The real value lies with the Extension Kit which can sometimes reach £50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Burton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for that Andrew, I'll put both up on ebay in the next day or so, probably separately. Thanks for your help and expert knowledge.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Extension Kit was not released in a box. Just a printed sheet wrapped around the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Burton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ah, that's why I can't find one then. I did think of trying to match one to complete the whole thing to a perfect standard. Cheers mate.

The items are up on ebay now and one person has bid on the extension pack already - just trying to determine how to get the auction on to the ebay page on here - I think they'll be a few sad to have missed it otherwise. Can't be many left in this condition.

I might start looking to increase the quality of my two Sorcerers Caves sets now - I found an extension pack for that as well but the boxes are so tatty from love and use. Plus the card stock was, in mine at least, about half the thickness of The Mystic Wood's cards and so have gone a little dog eared.

all the best, thanks again Andrew.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Johnson
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sorcerers Cave and its Extension Kit are nowhere near as sought after as the Mystic Wood, nor as good a game. Might not be worth your while "refurbishing" them. Best of luck with the Mystic Wood auction. If you can't figure out how to link the auction to this site give me a shout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Burton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cheers Andrew, I found out how and added a load of Sorcerers Cave auctions too. You're right about there being far more of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.