Subject: Some quick beginner stuff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Waller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Can you SR into a besieged fort as the owner of the fort (I'm assuming, no, but the fort space is still friendly even if besieged and I can't find a rule that prevents it, assuming a supply line can be traced to the besieged space)?

When reinforcements are in parentheses on a card does that mean the card counts as a reinforcement card and not an event card (Allenby for example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kapogeorgos
Greece
Alexandroupoli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quoting from the rules (Bold for emphasis):

13.1.5 SR Procedure: Units must be in supply to use SR. Units
may SR from their space to any other friendly supplied space
by using solid or eligible dashed lines connecting spaces. The
route between the two spaces may only enter friendly-controlled
spaces. Any or all of the spaces may be adjacent to enemy units
or forts. Units can SR through a hex that contains a besieged enemy
fort, but never through an enemy combat unit. Units can SR
into and out of a besieged enemy fort so long as the fort remains
besieged. A unit cannot SR out of a besieged enemy fort space if
the fort would no longer be besieged after the SR.

My common sense says that SR into a besieged fort passes through the enemy besieger, so this is the rule that I use for not allowing it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Waller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, this would be my interpretation as well but you aren't really going through the occupied space, you are going into it.
The rule still seems ambiguous to me and open to interpretation.

Just found 14.1.2 which says you can't trace supply to a friendly besieged fort and therefore you can't SR into it.

Now it's just the reinforcement question to be answered. Is Allenby a reinforcement card or a straight event card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kapogeorgos
Greece
Alexandroupoli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but you aren't really going through the occupied space, you are going into it.

Going into it means that you go through the besiegers who have the fort surrounded and under siege (through an enemy combat unit, as the rules say; don't mess the space with the unit!!!!!), how much more clear do you want me to make it?!?!?

Answering your second question:

Quote:
Now it's just the reinforcement question to be answered. Is Allenby a reinforcement card or a straight event card?

9.5 Event
9.5.1 General Rules
9.5.1.1 If a Strategy Card......
9.5.3 Reinforcement Event Cards
9.5.3.1 Each player can bring new units (reinforcements) into
play through the use of Strategy Cards as Events.......

My interpretation of these is that Reinforcement cards are Events. Some events do not include the word Reinforcement in their title for flavor. The Allenby card you keep mentioning,as well as any other card with the word reinforcement in parenthesis, is an actual Reinforcement card (because it allows the onboard placement of new forces) and should be noted as such in the Action Round Chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gregorio
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. SR through beseiged fort: Player A is besieging fort B. Player A can SR through the space. 13.1.5 is very specific on that, as cited previously. The owner of the fort may not SR through that space because it has an enemy unit in it. (Even if it didn't, SR could also be precluded by the supply status of the fort.)

2. Allenby is a reinforcement card, the NE Army is specifically referenced in section 9.5.3. You may only play one Reinforcement card per turn per nation. These cards are played as events if you want to bring in the reinforcement unit. The card is not necessarily an event, of course, you could also play it for OPS, SR, or RPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Waller
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
I was more looking for a rule rather than an interpretation based on what is happening in 'real life'.

The fact that friendly supply doesn't run into a besieged friendly fort is enough to prevent SR and then I don't have to appeal to a visualisation of what is happening. This is the advantage of clear rules.

It was my mistake as I didn't clearly read 14.1.2 well enough.

Thanks for your input though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can you SR into a besieged fort as the owner of the fort (I'm assuming, no, but the fort space is still friendly even if besieged and I can't find a rule that prevents it, assuming a supply line can be traced to the besieged space)?

No. This would cause opposing units to be stacked together in violation of [10.1.5] (which allows sieges only because forts aren't units).

Quote:
When reinforcements are in parentheses on a card does that mean the card counts as a reinforcement card and not an event card (Allenby for example)?

As Dimitris says, reinforcement cards are events (otherwise they would not fit into the list of six types of actions in [8.1.3]). But the "reinforcements" language does mean the event counts as a reinforcement card play (so you could not play both Allenby and some other British Reinforcements event on the same turn).

The variant cards "Russian Cavalry" and "Czech Legion" do not have that language, so I don't believe they count as reinforcement card plays. But I haven't seen a ruling on that question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.