Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which are the best variants to play? Let's break the poll down by roles!

Remember: You don't need to vote on all the possible combinations.

Poll: Rate all the Role Variants!
Rate all the Role Variants in Vast: The Crystal Caverns!
1. 4 / 5 Players
  Best Recommended Not Recommended
5 Players.
4 Players: No Thief.
4 Players: No Cave.
4 Players: No Dragon.
4 Players: No Goblins.
4 Players: No Knight.
2. 3 Players, no Thief.
Knight, Goblins, Dragon.
Knight, Goblins, Cave.
Knight, Dragon, Cave.
Goblins, Dragon, Cave.
3. 3 Players, with Thief
Knight, Goblins, Thief.
Knight, Dragon, Thief.
Knight, Cave, Thief.
Goblins, Dragon, Thief.
Goblins, Cave, Thief.
Dragon, Cave, Thief.
4. 2 Players, no Thief.
Knight vs. Goblins.
Knight vs. Dragon.
Goblins vs. Dragon.
Knight vs. Cave.
Dragon vs. Cave.
Goblins vs. Cave.
5. 2 Players, with Thief.
Knight vs. Thief.
Goblins vs. Thief.
Dragon vs. Thief.
Cave vs. Thief.
6. Solo.
Solo Knight.
Solo Goblins.
Solo Dragon.
Solo Thief.
      42 answers
Poll created by flying_neko

Remember: You can edit your votes and/or clear them at any time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Let us rate all the Role Variants as we try them!
Voted on everything I've played so far. 4p no Thief was the best yet, no surprises.

Others were mostly 2p, not found a bad combo. Played KvD, KvG, CvT, GvD and solo Knight. Keen to try them all solo.

All the 2p games are good, but lacking a little something from the extra player interaction. Just not been able to get a group ready for 3 & 4p games. CvT for example, fun game of treasure hide and seek, but the majority of the Thief's actions are to interact with D, G or K so you only end up playing with half of his player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played all the solo's while learning the roles. I really enjoyed the progression of the knight and thief. The goblins felt like they lost so much without any possibility of combat.

We also just played knight vs cave and knight vs dragon. Both worked well, and I ended up enjoying the cave MUCH more than I thought I would. Pushing the knight onto a river of lava and rotating that last elusive gem tile, shutting it off were really satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Boyers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavericklancer wrote:
I really enjoyed the progression of the knight and thief. The goblins felt like they lost so much without any possibility of combat.

That's funny. I had the opposite reaction to Goblins and Thief. I really enjoyed Goblins solo but thought the Thief was rather pointless.

The Goblins do have some Monster and Secret cards that are meaningless in solo, but plenty of them are still useful. And you still need to balance their population. It's hard keeping them strong enough to smash crystals without overpopulating.

I didn't even upgrade the Thief once. He just walked around and plundered until he won. Not very exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boyo wrote:
That's funny. I had the opposite reaction to Goblins and Thief. I really enjoyed Goblins solo but thought the Thief was rather pointless.

I didn't even upgrade the Thief once. He just walked around and plundered until he won. Not very exciting.
If you want to increase the challenge for the Thief Solo considerably, try him with the Invader difficulty card, and/or with this variant: Thieves' Guild variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goblin solo was rather unsatisfactory for me. Many of the Monster and Secret cards are useless.

The strategy is also a bit shallow:

It seems to be a matter of rushing through the Monsters deck to get the Fire Giant, Ogre and/or Troll to boost all three Tribes' strength to +1. At that point, one can always voluntarily kill off any goblin population in excess of two. This means that overpopulation is not really an issue. Rage stays stably at three, and with all that choice of War cards one almost always has enough strength and population to move to a crystal and destroy it once it is found. It got tedious and repetitive rather fast.

EDIT: Played with a rule wrong, smashing a Crystal reduces rage by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Goblin solo was rather unsatisfactory for me. Many of the Monster and Secret cards are useless.

That's also what I though at first. But rereading the rules reveals that an attack is needed by two tribes to smash a crystal, and after an attack the tribes involved must scatter, and scattering loses two population and a monster.

So not so stable after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
flying_neko wrote:

That's also what I though at first. But rereading the rules reveals that an attack is needed by two tribes to smash a crystal, and after an attack the tribes involved must scatter, and scattering loses two population and a monster.

So not so stable after all.
Requiring two tribes for the attack makes a huge difference, so I suspect that may be why it seemed so easy. Smashing a crystal also reduces your Rage by 1, so you shouldn't be able to stay anywhere near 3 constantly.

Throughout development and playtesting the Goblin solo has consistently been the most difficult with the narrowest margins of victory. Most times you're into the second or third turn of collapse before taking out that fifth crystal, and upping the difficulty another notch to six crystals is borderline impossible without a lot of luck working in your favor. It's actually my favorite of the solo variants because of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Requiring two tribes for the attack makes a huge difference, so I suspect that may be why it seemed so easy. Smashing a crystal also reduces your Rage by 1, so you shouldn't be able to stay anywhere near 3 constantly.

Yeah, my mistake was not having both tribes at strength three or greater, and not scattering after the attack. And I still lost! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Smashing a crystal also reduces your Rage by 1, so you shouldn't be able to stay anywhere near 3 constantly.

Aaaaaaand that's the rule I've missed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Boyers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had an intense Knight v. Goblins game last night!

The Knight had smashed her last crystal and was still at 4 health, but had three Hero Cubes sitting on the entrance tile from a couple Poison attacks. The Goblins successfully barricaded the entrance, because she never had enough cubes to build her strength up and overcome the Goblins. The Goblins whittled her health down and defeated her two rounds into the collapse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.