$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
$30.00
Matthew Kameron
msg tools
Hello

I have owned Eclipse+ROTA a while but have started playing with a new group recently who are keen on Eclipse. We played a game but I was reminded of a number of small items I would like to fix, and am wondering if anybody has a collated set they use for their groups.

My objectives are:
(1) Where possible, a small change is better than a large one
(2) Try to use the design space well; i.e. over the course of a few games, would like to see every tech played. A tech which is so situational it is only helpful 1 in 10 games is too obtuse!
(3) Avoid must-buy technologies, like advanced robotics
(4) Not change the feel of the game, only improve the fringes
(5) Maximise fun

Note that I am prepared to:
(1) modify chits by putting new stickers on them
(2) reprice technologies and break the symmetry of the technology rows
(3) integrate some/all rare technologies into the technology rows

I am also aware that there are whole threads on some of the more significant items below, but I am looking for a collection of small fixes.

If you like the game as is and don't want to make changes, I respect that; however, please allow those who would like to offer suggestions to me to do so.

The issues I am aware of that I would like to fix or 'tidy up' are as follows. There are likely more I haven't thought of. I should also note that we play with ancient homeworlds shuffled into the stacks, so the harder ships do pop up.

* Shields rarely taken and not very useful
* Flux missiles are rarely useful; there are a few other rare tech issues
* The only mid-game weapon option is plasma cannons
* There are no low-powered missiles
* Improved hull is too good
* Sentient hull is too good
* Advanced robotics is too good
* Orbitals are too weak
* It is rarely worth placing a warp portal given the option
* Docking bays aren't great
* Little ships are rarely useful in combat (useful for pinning etc)
* No ability to increase move activations (exc via docking bays)
* A couple of the races aren't balanced terribly well

I would be keen to hear thoughts from others who make small modifications, and will collate my preferences and type them up here and post as a variant at some stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Backstabbing AND Cube Pushing
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
This should probably be in the Variants forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizi wrote:

* Orbitals are too weak

A few comments on your list.

I suspect that you think shields not very useful because the rare times they've been taken haven't been the right times. If you're going up against somebody who has big computers, a big shield is the best defense. It's true, the -1 shields aren't great - but when you need to deal with a +2 or +3 computer, nothing else will do but a good shield.

Orbitals are a lot more useful for some races & situations than others. If you aren't sure what to do, putting down an orbital is probably not the right answer. But if you've set up a situation where you want the extra money/research, and you don't want to or can't expand further, they're better than trading in materials for most races.

The warp portal is almost entirely a counter-turtle build.

Little ships make great pinners and neutron bombers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Collins
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
demoss1 wrote:
Fizi wrote:

* Orbitals are too weak

A few comments on your list.

I suspect that you think shields not very useful because the rare times they've been taken haven't been the right times. If you're going up against somebody who has big computers, a big shield is the best defense. It's true, the -1 shields aren't great - but when you need to deal with a +2 or +3 computer, nothing else will do but a good shield.

Orbitals are a lot more useful for some races & situations than others. If you aren't sure what to do, putting down an orbital is probably not the right answer. But if you've set up a situation where you want the extra money/research, and you don't want to or can't expand further, they're better than trading in materials for most races.

The warp portal is almost entirely a counter-turtle build.

Little ships make great pinners and neutron bombers.

A few additional comments...

Regarding Flux Missiles, they are quite useful. 1) They are cheaper. 2) They give a nice Initiative boost. And 3) if the other missiles aren't out, these are still missiles.

Shields are a little under appreciated. That said, try going up against something with an 11 or 12 power source, two sets of -2 shields and Conifold Field...

Disagree on IH and SH. They are important techs that balance out serious destructive power. Part of the game is flexing designs.

Orbitals are spot on correct. Hard to build early game however really helpful for an economy and science buys later. They are they only way to in effect add planets to a system.

The Interceptor Bay is limited usefulness for most players. However, Mechanema, for example, with a 2 Material cost for Interceptors, can ship big fleets easy. And the Rho Indi showing up with two cruisers stuffed with Interceptors are a serious threat.

What races aren't balanced please? That can be very relative to play style and group preferences, and yet this can always be an interesting discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.