Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn» Forums » General

Subject: How is the replayability of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Right now there are 8 phoenixborn available, but how much replayability each one has? I looked at a video on youtube by Watch It Played and all they did summon the same silver snakes and blue mist creatures. Is there enough creature variety?

I am on the brink of buying this game, but due to replayability doubt, Im a bit hesitant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, about 40% of the cards are units (allies and conjurations), the other 60% are spells (ready, reaction, buffs, etc). There are 6 Phoenixborn (+ 7 Expansion & Promo Phoenixborn) and over 100 unique cards.

Whether the game is replayable or not depends on your taste, how much you want to play it, etc. If you like deckbuilding, but only wanna include the "strongest cards" (the meta), I think you will see a lot of the same cards over and over. But if you just wanna have fun, do some crazy combo's and try out fresh startegies, there's plenty of variation imo.

I'd honestly say: give it a try. It's a really fun and clever game. If you think the base game is not enough replayable, you can either sell your copy, or commit with expansions (one every 3 or 4 months if i'm not mistaken).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The reason you see the same creature return in the watch it played video is because of a mechanic called "Ready Spells". Basically, it lets you summon the same creature (called conjuration) over and over, every turn. Some decks are built around it, others aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wolf
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We seldom play pre built ourselves.. we use the draft rules to create decks.. in that case there really is no limit to replayability but there are combos you are always looking for in drafting but of course they may not appear and you have to adjust on the fly. As to the creature diversity there is quite a bit.. some more usable than others. It is the mage battlefield and spellboard sizes that can have a greater impact on what you can do during a game. If you can have someone demo it with you it would give you a better idea of how you would like it. Also there is a TableTop Simulator file for it on Steam if you have TableTop simulator.

You can find the draft rules on Plaid Hat's webpage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caamora wrote:
We seldom play pre built ourselves.. we use the draft rules to create decks.. in that case there really is no limit to replayability but there are combos you are always looking for in drafting but of course they may not appear and you have to adjust on the fly. As to the creature diversity there is quite a bit.. some more usable than others. It is the mage battlefield and spellboard sizes that can have a greater impact on what you can do during a game. If you can have someone demo it with you it would give you a better idea of how you would like it. Also there is a TableTop Simulator file for it on Steam if you have TableTop simulator.

You can find the draft rules on Plaid Hat's webpage.

+1 for draft, really fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
At the the Covenant Tulsa Tournament, 6 different Phoenixborn were present in the top 8, just as a point of reference for variety in the meta.

When we played Ashes, Luke and I were pretty new players. It was a good example of how the game works (I think), but not an example of how much depth there is in the game. You can really only discover that through playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grogan
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you not understand the concept of custom deck building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Ridinger
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your replayability really depends on several factors. The largest is do you like deck building? If you do that will certainly spread the longevity of the game between expansions. I know some people only play precons and still enjoy the game though.

A regular group will certainly help as well; playing against the same person might get a little stale (particularly if you only play the same precons each time).

Others also mentioned the draft format. This is a really fun way to extend your game and also helps to put every player on the same level.

So I guess it partially depends on what you plan on doing with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyler Tipsord
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
In total there are 13 Phoenixborn (10 with their own decks, 3 with just their unique cards) and a total of 91 cards available for each to use (all non unique cards + their 1 unique) spread among 4 different mana types, giving you a lot of options on how you could build a deck currently, with another 4 decks and 1 promo coming out, introducing 2 new mana types, which will then be integrated with the other 4. So, the replay ability is already high and still growing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.