Subject: Zovodnick and following a follower rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This has probably come up already, but here goes. Normally, it makes sense to me that one can only "follow" the player whose turn it is. In other words, you can't follow someone who is following someone else. However, the colony ability of Zavobnick says something to the effect of, "take 1 of any action, then all players may follow for free." So if I follow on some else's turn and activate the colony power for Zavodnick, can all the other players then follow me? Or have I blocked the free follow for every one else by using this power on a follow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is actually a very good question. If you want to follow the rules "by the book" then I would say that you can only follow the active player as the rulebook states:

"On a player's turn, after that player has activated a die, all other players have a brief moment to decide whether they want to follow that action."

It doesn't seem like you are technically allowed to follow a player who is already following the active player. But I think that the Zadovnick's would approve of bending the rules a little bit. You may have found a cool loophole!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that rules-as-intended would allow all players a free follow.
The planet doesn't say you need to be the active player to activate it so the free-follow is not a normal-follow, and thus allows players to mimic/follow your action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snardo wrote:
This has probably come up already, but here goes. Normally, it makes sense to me that one can only "follow" the player whose turn it is. In other words, you can't follow someone who is following someone else. However, the colony ability of Zavobnick says something to the effect of, "take 1 of any action, then all players may follow for free." So if I follow on some else's turn and activate the colony power for Zavodnick, can all the other players then follow me? Or have I blocked the free follow for every one else by using this power on a follow?

Following is tied to an action. You can't follow a follow. So you kinda have that part right. However, the free follow is part of Zavodnick's power, so that has to be resolved before players after you in turn order can do a normal follow, which still resolves based on the active player's action. Yes, the active player gets a free follow, as they are now following the player who activated Zavodnick.

Example:

Turn order is A, B, C. Player A takes an action (call it X). Player B follows, also doing X, and activates Zavodnick. Player B then takes action Y. Player C has the opportunity to follow player B's action Y for free. Then, player A has the opportunity to follow player B's action Y for free. Now that B's follow is finished, player C has the chance to follow player A's original action X. Finally, player A is free to continue their turn.

In my games, I do not allow the free follow to be used to activate Zavodnick again (no recursion!), as this quickly drags down gameplay. So in the above example, the action Y follow would not be able to be used to activate Zavodnick, which would require a round of action Z follows interrupting the Y follows. Player C's X follow could be used on activating Zavodnick for a second round of Y follows, however. I also disallow any other interactions that lead to this sort of thing (though this one is by far the worst).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We've added the text "only once per turn" to the planet Zavodnick. The ability can only be triggered once on a player's turn, even by other players.

So, using the example in this thread.

silverbowen wrote:
Turn order is A, B, C. Player A takes an action (call it X). Player B follows, also doing X, and activates Zavodnick. Player B then takes action Y. Player C has the opportunity to follow player B's action Y for free. Then, player A has the opportunity to follow player B's action Y for free. Now that B's follow is finished, player C has the chance to follow player A's original action X. Finally, player A is free to continue their turn.

Player B activated Zavodnick on Player A's turn and that's okay since Player A didn't activate it. The free follows would occur as described, but Player C's X follow could not be activating Zavodnick. Zavodnick can not be used again until Player A's turn is over.

We've also added this restriction to Nagato.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mind blown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.