Subject: Toughest expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 7 2-player games using its contents so far (and sadly that will be all for a while) and we barely managed to win one of them, against Maria Hill, and I have a feeling that had we played using the SHIELD starting hands and Officers we would have lost (that is, without the Dodge ability on the Madam Hydra).

Don't get me wrong, the heroes are very very powerful, and my girlfriend gathered 30 attack in one hand. However, the schemes + the mastermind effects + so many fortifying villains lead to some nasty situations.

In our first 4 games we've only once landed a strike on a mastermind...
Even the seemingly weaker Misty Knight and Ragnarok are terrifying with their villain groups.

Have you had similar experiences? do you feel that this is the most difficult expansion? is it any different with other number of players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played four 2-player games using only the expansion contents. Only one was a victory. Losses seems to have been caused by our decks being swamped by Maria Hills coming from the either the used schemes, the Maria Hill mastermind or the S.H.I.E.L.D Elite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Baldwin
United States
Tempe
AZ
flag msg tools
I would probably agree that, taken as a whole, this is the hardest expansion so far. All of the masterminds are very challenging, as are most of the schemes. It is particularly difficult when played in a vacuum, i.e. using only Civil War content for heroes, villains, and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In solo mode I've found the masterminds pretty tough, the villains not so bad, and the schemes on the easier side (eg had a couple of draws, where even though I didn't beat the mastermind, never felt close to losing the scheme).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't had QUITE that much trouble with this expansion. I think the schemes are pretty manageable. Only Mastermind I haven't fought yet is Maria Hill. I think Secret Wars Vol. 1 is still the hardest expansion due to several nigh-unbeatable schemes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I sailed through Misty Knight without any issues but got absolutely destroyed by Ironman. I was wondering about how balanced it would be to use Madame Hydra instead of Maria Hill for the Maria Hill mastermind as I am thinking of fading out my base set due to storage space and lack of use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
djhalstead wrote:
I sailed through Misty Knight without any issues but got absolutely destroyed by Ironman. I was wondering about how balanced it would be to use Madame Hydra instead of Maria Hill for the Maria Hill mastermind as I am thinking of fading out my base set due to storage space and lack of use.

Madame hydra has Dodge. So she won't clog up your deck like Maria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avengers vs. X-Men against Maria Hill was a cake walk (while only using one Civil War hero).

I've failed (pretty badly) five times on United States Split against Misty Knight. Maybe I shouldn't have used Deadlands villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Maria Hill with SHIELD Elite on the Dark Reign scheme. It was insane. I had 17 Officers in my deck by the end of the game (I lost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Avengers vs. X-Men against Maria Hill was a cake walk (while only using one Civil War hero).

I've failed (pretty badly) five times on United States Split against Misty Knight. Maybe I shouldn't have used Deadlands villains.

AvX gets my vote for worst scheme in all of Legendary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
ruxnnestrand wrote:
AvX gets my vote for worst scheme in all of Legendary.

I like the idea of having to stick to one team or face a punishment, I just wish the punishment was bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
With 3 heroes to choose from, it's not tough to stick to one team. And even if you DO pick up someone from the other team, they'd both need to be in your hand when a scheme twist hits for there to be any effect.

Should have been something like "if there are more of Team A in the HQ than Team B, each player reveals their hand and discards all Team B cards". Maybe not all, but 1? There are many ways this scheme could have gone to be more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more games in and I think the masterminds in this expansion are some of the toughest that we've had. Ragnarok and Zemo tend to have exceptionally high attack for most of the game, and the fight restrictions on Iron Man and Maria Hill can be very difficult to get past. Misty Knight is probably the easiest one here, and even she can dish out enough Wounds to cause you problems, plus Colleen Wing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maria Hill is one of the toughest MM's in the game. Her fight restrictions are a pain, and she clogs your deck with all those other Maria Hills. Unless you've got a great KO team like Bishop, you're in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell B
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Doesn't Nick Fury KO as well and get stronger every time you do? It's been a while since Inused him last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Maria Hill next in the campaign I'm playing at the moment. I'm taking Old Man Logan in (he has the most efficient KO ability in my current team), planning to try and buy lots of his cards and rely mainly on SHIELD officers for recruit. I'm still dubious that it will go well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you randomize, you're in trouble. If you cherry pick, she's a lot easier I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I've got Maria Hill next in the campaign I'm playing at the moment. I'm taking Old Man Logan in (he has the most efficient KO ability in my current team), planning to try and buy lots of his cards and rely mainly on SHIELD officers for recruit. I'm still dubious that it will go well.

Ah-ha-haa! It worked, I beat her!

It was really close though, checked the Villain deck and would have lost on my next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.