Subject: Is finding four cures optional or mandatory objective? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
depesz depesz
Poland
Magdalenka
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
I can't seem to find it in rulebook. In normal pandemic, the only way to win is to find 4/5 cures, but now, we (from what I understand, we're just starting first game in january) might have another set of objectives...

So, the question is: is it possible to win by completing set of objectves without finding 4 cures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game doesn't tell you an objective is mandatory then that objective isn't mandatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Don't worry. If you actually start playing, and you make sure you pay attention to which objective cards have "mandatory" written in the top-right corner, all will become clear very quickly.

A more specific answer would be a spoiler. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, at the beginning of the game it is the only objective you have and you do have to fulfill 1 objective to win the game, so at that point you should consider it the pretty much mandatory objective unless anything changes.
And once stuff changes it will become clear what is mandatory and what is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
ovis wrote:
Well, at the beginning of the game it is the only objective you have

No...

While it's the objective you have when you play non-Legacy practice games, when you start playing the Legacy game you have no objective(s).

But you start going through the legacy deck before you set up your first January game. So even though you don't yet know what you're going to be trying to do in January, you will find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
ovis wrote:
Well, at the beginning of the game it is the only objective you have

No...

While it's the objective you have when you play non-Legacy practice games, when you start playing the Legacy game you have no objective(s).

But you start going through the legacy deck before you set up your first January game. So even though you don't yet know what you're going to be trying to do in January, you will find out.

Early January Spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
While I might be splitting hairs, that's not entirely true. The second card you draw from the Legacy deck, which occurs during the setup of January, is an objective card that says "Cure 4 diseases." We are intentionally being very vague, because the OP will discover pretty quickly what we all mean. Suffice to say, cards drawn from the Legacy deck will make it very clear what objectives need to be completed.

Late January Spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
After you resolve the second epidemic, you draw the January briefing update. This update directs you to destroy the old mandatory objective (cure 4 diseases) and replace it with a new mandatory objective (cure 3 diseases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
nomercyrider wrote:
While I might be splitting hairs, that's not entirely true.

What I said is carefully, exactly and precisely true in every respect.

What you are saying is a spoiler for the start of the first game in January, and should be tagged accordingly. (The very first spoiler of the game is still a spoiler!)

It's really important to be right about this kind of thing. At the start of Season One, you do not yet have any objectives. There is no requirement to cure the four diseases, like in regular Pandemic. There are slots on the board for objectives and how many objective cards do you have to put there? Er... none.

Indeed, I've since seen this posting by OP, who accidentally played January without proceeding through the legacy deck. If they'd been aware they had no objectives, they'd also have been aware they had no way to win. That might have encouraged them to read the top card of the legacy deck a little more carefully, or seek help sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
nomercyrider wrote:
While I might be splitting hairs, that's not entirely true.

What I said is carefully, exactly and precisely true in every respect.

What you are saying is a spoiler for the start of the first game in January, and should be tagged accordingly. (The very first spoiler of the game is still a spoiler!)

Alright, reading back through your original posts in the context of your reply, I now understand what you mean. Anyway, I've spoil tagged the first half of my post for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread. My confusion really stems from "at the beginning of Pandemic Legacy." I get your argument that the beginning is pretty much after you've read the rules, but before you have started through the Legacy deck. I suppose my interpretation would be that the "beginning" occurs once you are ready to take your very first turn (though I understand that interpretation may be "wrong").

Anyway, no sense in continuing to beat a dead horse. Just hope the OP has figured out the proper way of going through the Legacy Deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.