Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So been thinking about finally getting dominion.
Up till this point the theme has kept me from getting this.
We do love a whole range of deckbuilders.

So we play almost exclusively 2 player and we are big carebear players.
So what should I get. I'm thinking about getting like 1 expansion to add some variety.
Any recommendations for sets with low to no mean cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every set has Attack cards, but you can always choose to leave them out. Nearly every set has Reaction cards, but some of those do not have anything to do with being attacked.

I recommend the original set for beginners. If you like it, I'd add Seaside next. You might stop there. If not, go back and pick up Intrigue, then Prosperity, and get the rest in published order, saving Alchemy for last if ever (one of them has to be the worst, right?).

Some of the small expansions have been combined depending on the published language. For example, Cornucopia+Guilds is an option in English, and I think Alchemy+Cornucopia is an option in German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Jensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the base set and the Prosperity expansion, which adds Colony, a 10-point victory card, and Platinum, a treasure card worth 5 coin. With Prosperity, you get turns where you'll have more than 20 coin to spend, whivh is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Newman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Since someone has already asked.....

My wife and I played Dominion for the very first time the past weekend and she absolutely fell in love with it. I liked it too, but she was definitely in to it.

With our anniversary coming up, this made a gift idea very easy. Obviously I'll buy the base set, and was actually going to post a thread about which expansion to go with it.

Now that I've seen some of the replies, it looks like Prosperity would be a good expansion. Amazon has a combination Guilds and Cornucopia for about the same price as Prosperity or Seaside. While I'm sure she'll be happy with any of these, for rookies like us I wonder what'll give us the most bang for our buck to go with the base set.

Thanks in advance!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Patrick!

The designer has said, and re-affirmed, that if you are only going to get one expansion, he recommends Seaside. If you're going to get more, go back and get them in order, except maybe saving Alchemy for last.

I echo that sentiment. Seaside is a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
So been thinking about finally getting dominion.
Up till this point the theme has kept me from getting this.
We do love a whole range of deckbuilders.

So we play almost exclusively 2 player and we are big carebear players.
So what should I get. I'm thinking about getting like 1 expansion to add some variety.
Any recommendations for sets with low to no mean cards?
Do the 2 of you feel compelled to play with Attack cards even though you don't like them, or is it an option for you to simply disregard them? If it's the latter, we'll know to focus on the non-Attack cards, and perhaps some non-Attack cards that also have player interactions (like Masquerade, and Ill-Gotten-Gains).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Newman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Whizkid wrote:
Welcome, Patrick!

The designer has said, and re-affirmed, that if you are only going to get one expansion, he recommends Seaside. If you're going to get more, go back and get them in order, except maybe saving Alchemy for last.

I echo that sentiment. Seaside is a winner.

THANK YOU!!

thumbsup

That is most helpful to me. Looks like I'll be placing my order for the base set and Seaside tomorrow.

I just hope that my wife remembers how much I want the State of Emergency expansion for Pandemic to finish the set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
splatteredbits wrote:
I recommend the base set and the Prosperity expansion, which adds Colony, a 10-point victory card, and Platinum, a treasure card worth 5 coin. With Prosperity, you get turns where you'll have more than 20 coin to spend, whivh is a lot of fun.

Prosperity is my husband's favorite, too. We have all of the expansions (oops! not Alchemy) and just use an app to choose kingdoms from them. No matter what, though, he always wants Colony and Platinum to be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright a small update.
We got the base set now, played a few games already.
We really like it, it's a very fun strategic and fast deckbuilder.
So far the attack cards don't really bother us, we would like some more reaction options.
I do see us getting an expansion pretty fast, some more cards will add alot of replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lefty Writer wrote:

With our anniversary coming up, this made a gift idea very easy. Obviously I'll buy the base set, and was actually going to post a thread about which expansion to go with it.

I have to say I love when any female can deal with a non-romantic anniversary gift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Newman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Liallan wrote:
Lefty Writer wrote:

I have to say I love when any female can deal with a non-romantic anniversary gift.

Oh, she'd much rather get something she really wants instead of something romantic, just for the sake of it being romantic. (Not that I don't send her flowers anyway....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liallan wrote:
Lefty Writer wrote:

lol I tell my husband not to waste money on a card either. Games...that's about the extent of my wish list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mamadallama wrote:
Liallan wrote:
Lefty Writer wrote:

lol I tell my husband not to waste money on a card either. Games...that's about the extent of my wish list.

"Honey, you know I don't want cards unless there are 300 of them along with a rulebook".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You want Prosperity for sure. Cool new treasure cards. Also, get the brand new Empires expansion. It is fantastic. Watch the Dice Tower review. My wife and I LOVE it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conmanau wrote:
Mamadallama wrote:
Liallan wrote:
Lefty Writer wrote:

"Honey, you know I don't want cards unless there are 300 of them along with a rulebook".

Exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.