Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Making my own Epic cards - legal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Right now as it stands there are around 170 epic cards, I was thinking of bumping that amount to the thousands by making my own epic cards, sorta like a PNP. I would use them only for me and my gf. Is this legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Right now as it stands there are around 170 epic cards, I was thinking of bumping that amount to the thousands by making my own epic cards, sorta like a PNP. I would use them only for me and my gf. Is this legal?

I don't know anything about Maltese law. In Germany, it would be legal, as long as you don't distribute the cards in any way. So no uploading to the internet/sharing/... without (written) permission to do so. The problem mainly lies in using the artwork of the frames and such, whose copyright is with WWG (they've been asked before whether they were willing to release some kind of toolkit for creating custom cards, but seemed not too fond of the idea).

As I said, I have not a clue about Maltese law, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this is legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget there are also copyright issues surrounding any artwork you might cull from the internet (Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, etc) to create your cards. The copyright is usually held by the publisher and possibly by the artist who created the original work.

In the United States you would be violating copyright law, but since your usage is confined to yourself, it's unlikely to be prosecuted. In most cases, copyright violation in the U.S.A. really boils down to visibility, damaging the brand (adult content), or making money off the intellectual property. Playing in the basement with your friends or the local game store is one thing, showing up to GenCon with custom cards or posting files on the Internet is another thing entirely.

With that said, the enforcement is pretty lax because there's more lose (legal fees, customer ill-will) than to gain from enforcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Not a lawyer.

Go nuts, have fun, don't get on our radar. (Distributing our art/design assets, even for free, is a good way to get on our radar.)

Again, not a lawyer. The legal department might have a different take on this.

Ian Taylor
Not the Legal Department
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:

As long as you don't obtain any material benefit from it you can do whatever you want under the EU law regarding this matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you release the cards as Photoshop without the frames you can't get into any trouble. If you keep propotions people can apply whatever frames they want to. Just keep an empty or dummy/own frame layer (basically image <-> frame layer <-> text and icons).

You can also just design your own frames. Keep in mind to use free images or create your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulezfin wrote:
Brandonboards wrote:

As long as you don't obtain any material benefit from it you can do whatever you want under the EU law regarding this matter.

Not a lawyer, but I'm doubtful about this. For example, you may not upload copyrighted material and release it online, even if you don't materially benefit from it. The point is that the copyright owner can show that you materially damaged him (because rather than buying his product, people would just download it from your site).

TL;DR: I woulnd't bet on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.