Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: clydeiii_complaining_about_pandemic [+] [View All]
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the "story" will end here, because Pandemic Legacy seems to be out of reach, but the new TTA is now #2 in the BGG ranking. Congratulations to Vlaada, CGE and everybody involved in the revision process and thanks for this outstanding game! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Rutherford
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I have faith. It's going all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRufu wrote:
I don't know. I have faith. It's going all the way.

Definetely will.

At the end of the year, we will have

1 TTA
2 PL
3 Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know- Scythe isn't quite on the same trajectory as the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
badge
mb
The TS people must have rating bombed as a last ditch effort. It's back to #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to beat a co-op. It just has to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eisenhorn0223 wrote:

Too bad they can't do that to 'Pandemic let's play over and over again'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malekous wrote:
Eisenhorn0223 wrote:

Too bad they can't do that to 'Pandemic let's play over and over again'

Oh, Pandemic Legacy got A TON of hate votes. Any game that hits the top is going to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:

And another reminder that it is time for BGG to start rolling up versions in one entry. Of course it's not easy to do so, but having the same game* at number 9 and number 2 in the ranking is ridiculous.

* yes there are differences and no they are not fundamental, no way near fundamental enough to consider them different games

Here we go with this again. There are many good, practical reasons why it makes sense to separate them. Here are just a few:
-buying, selling, and trading
-rules questions
-images
-files
-strategy discussion

Keep in mind that ratings and rankings are ultimately pretty meaningless, but the above points are all things that actually affect people (buying selling and trading in particular).

The annoyance of having two versions of the same game in the top ten is not more important than the value created by keeping them separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Jørgensen
Denmark
Glostrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

Here we go with this again. There are many good, practical reasons why it makes sense to separate them. Here are just a few:
-buying, selling, and trading
-rules questions
-images
-files
-strategy discussion

Keep in mind that ratings and rankings are ultimately pretty meaningless, but the above points are all things that actually affect people (buying selling and trading in particular).

The annoyance of having two versions of the same game in the top ten is not more important than the value created by keeping them separate.

I totally agree that your points are valid in regards to separating the games in two listings.

To me it has been quite puzzling to see that BGG fails to use the version section in the entries in other sections of BGG.

By this I mean, when making a new thread in the forum, you must assign with version the thread refers to.
Review of TTA the 2nd Polish edition or review of the 1st edition of TTA-ANSoC.

Looking up a game in the current system, regardless of that game's listing was/has been joined, I don't know if the questions raised regards to a specific version or a subset of the versions already released.

I would imaging that assigning the version tag should be public or semi-public (only user with "Patron(current year)" for instance) , so all threads are tagged with the most recent version (in english) other users can then refine the selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

I have to take issue with the idea that the rankings "don't affect people". I know at least three people who played a couple of board games, enjoyed them, and then bought Twilight Struggle because it was #1 on BGG. As you might imagine, it was appropriate for none of them, and I'd wager that that sort of population is significantly bigger than the population of people who trade games on BGG.

Still, optimising the site functionality for activities other than ranking is a valid choice, but I do wish that seeing as that's the case, the rankings at least came with a prominent health warning that they don't mean much of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:

And another reminder that it is time for BGG to start rolling up versions in one entry. Of course it's not easy to do so, but having the same game* at number 9 and number 2 in the ranking is ridiculous.

* yes there are differences and no they are not fundamental, no way near fundamental enough to consider them different games

or make an adjustment for selection bias. TTA2 and PL are up high because they are solid and because they were mostly played by people likely to enjoy the game as TTA and Pandemic probably already turned off people likely to hate it. Same with Caverna which is fairly high.

Separately, if the rankings were adjusted properly, you wouldn't need to worry about rolling up versions. Now that TTA2 is out, rankings of TTA should plummet to never play again, as many people would always choose TTA2 over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kester wrote:
grant5 wrote:

I have to take issue with the idea that the rankings "don't affect people". I know at least three people who played a couple of board games, enjoyed them, and then bought Twilight Struggle because it was #1 on BGG. As you might imagine, it was appropriate for none of them, and I'd wager that that sort of population is significantly bigger than the population of people who trade games on BGG.

Still, optimising the site functionality for activities other than ranking is a valid choice, but I do wish that seeing as that's the case, the rankings at least came with a prominent health warning that they don't mean much of anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Two games from the last Essen at the top of the rankings seems unprecedented. Cult of the new getting stronger? Or just selection bias (in the ratings) hitting two games hard in the same year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
V1 Rotate
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
Two games from the last Essen at the top of the rankings seems unprecedented. Cult of the new getting stronger? Or just selection bias (in the ratings) hitting two games hard in the same year?

Both are from games already very highly ranked. Pandemic adds a lot of new features to the game, but I don't understand it in the 1 spot. The new TTA's previous version was sitting at 3-4 for a long time. So an improved version should be higher ranked.

Yes they're both new, but I'd hardly call them cult of the new as they're new and better versions of previous editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the thing TTA's ascendancy proves is the theory that the rating system is broken in light of "new" games that are simply re-hashes of the old version with a couple of tweaks are going to be unnaturally highly rated. The people who are going to buy - and rate - these games are the people who already know they enjoy the game. The organic "I gave it a try, and didn't really care for it" that is automatically built in to any standalone game is largely culled, because people who didn't like TTA before know they aren't going to like it now, so won't even bother playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that most of the early ratings are from folks who loved the old version. But, just as one oddity, I bought this because I wanted a good civ game, and this came out at the right time... and I happen to enjoy it, but not as much as those who know it well do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
New editions are bound to outrank their predecessors (unless the execution is extremely flawed) because most people who didn't like the earlier edition won't play and rate the new edition, leading to fewer negative ratings and an overall higher average rating.

In this case, at this time, 2nd edition has more than 50% of 10 ratings that 1st has, but only 10% as many 6 ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quintious wrote:
The people who are going to buy - and rate - these games are the people who already know they enjoy the game.

moramis wrote:
New editions are bound to outrank their predecessors (unless the execution is extremely flawed) because most people who didn't like the earlier edition will play and rate the new edition

Hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quintious wrote:
I think the thing TTA's ascendancy proves is the theory that the rating system is broken in light of "new" games that are simply re-hashes of the old version with a couple of tweaks are going to be unnaturally highly rated. The people who are going to buy - and rate - these games are the people who already know they enjoy the game. The organic "I gave it a try, and didn't really care for it" that is automatically built in to any standalone game is largely culled, because people who didn't like TTA before know they aren't going to like it now, so won't even bother playing it.

The tweaks to TTA aswell as the new art make it a quiet substantial change to the original.

It's a fantastic game. No conspiracy theory needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sephakay wrote:
Quintious wrote:

The tweaks to TTA aswell as the new art make it a quiet substantial change to the original.

It's a fantastic game. No conspiracy theory needed.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's just basic statistics. Games that are re-implementations of existing systems are going to have an automatic built in selection bias.
It's probably impossible to quantify, but it exists. I mean, three of the top five games are re-implementations.

But I think the bigger point is.... so what? The rankings have ALL KINDS of biases built in, this is just but one. The rankings are not gospel, they're just a fun thing to watch. Nobody should get bent out of shape over this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
moramis wrote:
New editions are bound to outrank their predecessors (unless the execution is extremely flawed) because most people who didn't like the earlier edition will play and rate the new edition, leading to fewer negative ratings and an overall higher average rating.

In this case, at this time, 2nd edition has more than 50% of 10 ratings that 1st has, but only 10% as many 6 ratings.

Initially true. But over time as more people discover and start using the site, and decide to give the game a go because of the high rank, it'll then have to stand on its own merits. This normally means the rating will fall a little.

Same happened with Twilight Struggle, and is happening with Pandemic Legacy right now - just that they managed to impress most of the people who decided to give them a go. TS now has more ratings than the original TTA had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eisenhorn0223 wrote:

Of the 26 ratings for '1', 10 were made in August. Surprise, surprise: all of the users have TS at a '10'.

Bullshit I say. Who is so pathetic that they hate vote a game to prolong their game's place for a smidgen longer? If only BGG would weed them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
If only BGG would weed them out.

We can't move on until people have answered for what they've done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atomheartmother wrote:
Eisenhorn0223 wrote:

Of the 26 ratings for '1', 10 were made in August. Surprise, surprise: all of the users have TS at a '10'.

Bullshit I say. Who is so pathetic that they hate vote a game to prolong their game's place for a smidgen longer? If only BGG would weed them out.

Its insane that someone are so stupid that they waste time hate voting on games because of a ranking.
But as long as the ranking system works the way it does you will see this behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.