Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i know the English word "onus," but (A) it seems to have nothing to do with the theme of this game and (B) the game's native language is Spanish (so there's no reason that any given English word would have anything to do with it). So...

What does "ONUS!" mean in the context of this game?

(Just curious.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
i know the English word "onus," but (A) it seems to have nothing to do with the theme of this game and (B) the game's native language is Spanish (so there's no reason that any given English word would have anything to do with it). So...

What does "ONUS!" mean in the context of this game?

(Just curious.)

It comes from the Latin Onus and it has the same definition in both languages being Burden / Responsibility / Duty which seems to fit for Soldier/Statesmen then as it does now.

I am not sure what you thought imeant , most commonly used as in onus of truth , the burden of Truth.

However it does have that wider meaning.

Perhaps ask Draco?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
I am not sure what you thought imeant , most commonly used as in onus of truth , the burden of Truth.

i thought it meant what it means in English (my native Language, btw, despite the Germany icon (where i live) in my profile): "the onus is on me to prove that..."

i.e. the burden or responsibility [typically of proof/proving something]. That doesn't seem like a appropriate title for this game, though.

Starman54 wrote:

However it does have that wider meaning.

Perhaps ask Draco?

That was the intent of this post . Draco listens in here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
According to game designer Luis, ONUS in latin means to carry that it was Roman legionary made during their long marches. They have to carry all their equipment and weapons... a very heavy load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.