Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that they aren't interested in releasing the story events etc. But the base rules should really be available, right?
People in my gaming group really like to have a look at the rules before playing. And if I pay (more than) $1000 for a game I really expect to have access to the rules...

Edit: clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, there are no rules available online.

It might sound strange but there is a reason to this:
This is a game you discover as you play, rules included.
Having the rules available and reading them before you start playing would be a major spoiler.
Having said that, even if the rules were available, your players should really not read them before playing.

You would do a huge favor to yourself too not knowing anything about what's going on in there.

And if you want to know more about a 1000$ game (you exaggerate the price a little but let's say it is true), just ask.

If you are the owner, I suggest to look at some videos which run through the prologue and just stop there.
If you like what you see, go for it and avoid any other video which might spoil the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, there are a lot of gameplay videos on YouTube, you can just check it there ($400 game, anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
I understand that they aren't interested in releasing the story events etc. But the base rules should really be available, right?
People in my gaming group really like to have a look at the rules before playing. And if I pay (more than) $1000 for a game I really expect to have access to the rules...

Edit: clarity

As I understand it, Poots has forbidden the distribution of the rules, so that's that. There is no reason not to read the rules before playing (as long as you don't read all the special events from the back of the book), but it does have a pretty good tutorial section that steps you through your first game.

As for the price - you are looking at an excess of $1000 for the game with some expansions or the Kickstarter edition, otherwise you should be able to get it for about $800. I picked up my copy for £500 (UK) and I definitely overpaid. With a reprint on the distant horizon, you might be better off waiting so there isn't such a financial investment at stake when you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have all the expansions, so it's actually $1000.

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess I've never stumbled upon a rulebook that you have to read as you play the game. I was hoping to have a smooth game night by knowing the rules.
But I guess this game is more full of surprises than I ever could have anticipated! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own the game, then read the rulebook up until it starts the first settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
If you own the game, then read the rulebook up until it starts the first settlement.

I think he wanted to distribute a pdf to all the players so they could read it before their first game to make it run smoother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:

Thanks! I own the game and I will do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
Well I have all the expansions, so it's actually $1000.

Yes, and who bought all the resins paid $3000, but that does not change that the game costs $400. If there is anyone not committed enough to shell out the money for the base game because gameplay demos don't convince him, he won't also buy the expansions blind, am I right?

Anyway, I was trying to help there: check gameplay sessions on YouTube, really
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:

Well, there are rules available online.

There are no authorized rules available online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
baylock wrote:

Well, there are rules available online.

There are no authorized rules available online.

Of course.
The same with the game itself.
Yes, you can play this game online, in Hi-Res and for free, expansions included.
Do we have to be that specific and go into the details too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys.
I thought I could read "base rules" and then only had to read specific rules for specific conditions.
I wouldn't dream of reading the whole rule book if it would contain spoilers. I guess I'll just read the first part with the base rules (if that's even possible without spoiling everything).

Again thanks for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
I guess I'll just read the first part with the base rules (if that's even possible without spoiling everything).

Yes, the book is well-organized to avoid spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
lugiber wrote:
I guess I'll just read the first part with the base rules (if that's even possible without spoiling everything).

Yes, the book is well-organized to avoid spoilers.

Thanks! I'll just finish the "little book of calm" first. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's many copies of the rules floating around, but you gotta be in a super secret cool kids club to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
There's many copies of the rules floating around, but you gotta be in a super secret cool kids club to find them.

Thanks!
But I'm really not into pirating the game.
I already own it, and listening to the comments here I have no intention of reading too much of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.