$20.00
Anson Wooten
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
Art by: Aaron Wooten www.aaronrwooten.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned and played this game at Origins 2016.

During my first play through I missed the rule that you cannot play a card of the same profession and color as a card in you guild hall. I was playing that you could play a duplicate card, it just wasn't added to your guild hall at the end of your turn (it is discarded).

I'm not sure how I missed this rule, as it is clearly stated in the rules.

I've recently begun playing the game with the proper rule and I'm not sure I like it as much. I find with the no duplicate rule that I have lots of unusable cards in my hand and must discard more often. Things feel a little more random. When i played with the incorrect rule I felt like all the cards in my had were useful. I could play duplicate cards to trigger abilities at strategic times when I wanted to instead of having to wait to draw the correct color. Also, the decision to close a chapter was more interesting because I could leave it at 4 cards and continue to play duplicates to activate the action at it's max effectiveness.

I am considering keeping my variant rule because I find it more enjoyable that way, but I am curious to discuss this impact on the game.

Does using this variant rule effect the professions abilities in a way that would negatively impact the game?

Does the no duplicate card rule implement an important core idea to the game that I am overlooking?

I realize we are talking preferences here, so there is no wrong answer, I'm just interested to hear if any has any thoughts on the topic.

Thanks,
Anson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest problem I can see with your rule (and probably why the real rule exists) is that it will let you abuse the higher card powers more easily. So if you have 4 cards in your guild with some powerful 4-card abilities, you could keep using that power. While in the original rules, you would only be able to use that power once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts echo Kenny's but to them I will add Go Bucks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Wooten
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree with this. Preventing a high level ability from being used repeatedly is the only reason I could think of for the rule. But after playing it that way, I just really enjoy it.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Go Bucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also add, that playing the way the rules dictate also mean that you still can use a higher (not highest of course unless farmer) level power over and over IF you get creative in the use of your trader and weaver (sorry don't know names in the new version).

To me, the reward of that more creative play to reuse powers is more fulfilling than if you could spam the same profession and color without restriction.

Edit for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Wooten
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this thought!

Perhaps the game felt restrictive to me because I was used to playing the rule wrong. Using the correct rule, I need to be more proactive in managing my guild to enable the play of cards.

I'm definitely going to play some more with the rules as written (I'm actually kind of a rules lawyer, so playing a variant bugs me a bit).

Thanks for the perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.