7 Posts

Kill Shakespeare» Forums » General

Subject: Rules are a turn off. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Ferg
msg tools
mbmb
So after hours of pouring over the inept rules for this game and having to explain them to my board game group, I have found myself turned off to this game. We literally spending 7 hours trying to grind through the understanding of this game and we were only able to play 3 rounds before we had to leave. (Now i will admit that part of this was due to people not fully listening to rules instructions) Has anyone else felt this way about this game? Where the rules are so poorly written/organized that it makes you not want to play the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't myself watched this video yet but speaking from the other videos I've seen from David he always does a stellar job explaining the rules for the games... the videos are long but are excellent... so take a look and see if they can salvage the game for you and let me know

He has another video that's longer made before the one posted above, don't know if it's any different but if after watching that one you still have doubts watch this to see if there's more things:

There's also a gameplay video by Rahdo but for rules learning I would bet these videos from David should be better

Let me know if these helped you to understand the rules, ok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

watching the videos by David helped me learn the game

I'm surprised more people don't play it

maybe Shakespeare is a turn off?

maybe the rules book (on a scale of 1-10 it is a -2

someone put "a lot of work" into this game and a shame it is not being played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ferg
msg tools
mbmb
The reason we bought this game was because the shakespeare theme. If someone put a lot of work into the game, they should have put a lot more work in explaining it. The rules book is one of the most poorly constructed rules books i have ever seen. It discredits the work they put into the game...which makes me not want to play it again. I will check out the videos posted. I have watched several hours of video already in cluding the second Avoid the rules video posted above. But have not seen the 1st one.

Even if I am able to enjoy the game after another attempt, it does not redeem the publisher/creator of this game for allowing such a poor product to hit the market. I feel bad for the kickstarter backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paulo for posting the videos!
I should also mention that I have put several files in the file section that help explain symbology, some cards, and go through a turn example. These might even be more useful than the videos.

I do know that the designers put their heart and soul into this game. The rule book, as published, was a working document between myself and the designers. It was, simply, me capturing the many emails and videos between myself and the designers and putting them into text. We had many, many pages of examples and improvements that we had noted between us to be included in the final rule set - neither of us ever considered the rules to be remotely close to being a final product. Sadly the game was rushed to production and the the working rule set was taken as is. Since then I have made some additional things that should have been included in the first place but, frankly speaking, it is too little too late.

Out of respect to the awesome designers, and the game itself, perhaps I should blow the dust off some of these files?

Have a great day!
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I can t add much more. I m really sorry for people who have trouble with the rules. David did more than we could hope for to help us to bring the game as it was meant to the people. He made some great playeraids too. Also Rahdo made a good video and a nice file to help people out.
As David and others here said, there went a lot of work in the game. We tried to make a game that was truthfull to the comic. But sadly not everything comes through. It s a bit a bad combination of unexperience from both sides. Ours, because it was only our second game and from Idw since it was their first big game.
We are here around a lot and are open for any questions. Just be sure that no one did this on purpose. No one was decided to make a bad rulebook. Things just went bad. David did a huge job helping out! Sadly it was too late to make everything right.
I hope that this game will ever get a new release, reworked, streamlined and better rules. A lot of things we put in, don t shine as they should.
So really sorry! And as you as a player are dissapointed , think about how dissapointed we are putting months of work in this. So we are all dissapointed together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wasp wrote:
Hey,

I can t add much more. I m really sorry for people who have trouble with the rules. David did more than we could hope for to help us to bring the game as it was meant to the people. He made some great playeraids too. Also Rahdo made a good video and a nice file to help people out.
As David and others here said, there went a lot of work in the game. We tried to make a game that was truthfull to the comic. But sadly not everything comes through. It s a bit a bad combination of unexperience from both sides. Ours, because it was only our second game and from Idw since it was their first big game.
We are here around a lot and are open for any questions. Just be sure that no one did this on purpose. No one was decided to make a bad rulebook. Things just went bad. David did a huge job helping out! Sadly it was too late to make everything right.
I hope that this game will ever get a new release, reworked, streamlined and better rules. A lot of things we put in, don t shine as they should.
So really sorry! And as you as a player are dissapointed , think about how dissapointed we are putting months of work in this. So we are all dissapointed together.

Thanks for your statement! But couldn't you consider doing a new version of the rules, maybe even streamline some game elements along the path? I think this can be a great game but as it is it's way too clumsy to explain and it just doesn't cry for a rematch this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.